HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ANTS! ANTS! AND MORE ANTS
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 11:46 PM
kdvollmer

Default RE: ANTS! ANTS! AND MORE ANTS

I'm not from the carolinas, but close, Svannah GA. We have bad fire ants too. The first time I had fire ants I used the powder and some liquid stuff i picked up at Lowes or Home Depot. That got rid of them for about 3-4 months. When they came back I couldn't find the liquid stuff.

Either way, go by the powder, or granule stuff. For the next part you can use a pitchfork, I use a piece of Rebar about 2 feet long. I pound the rebar into the ground with a hammer about a foot down, then kind of stir it around to make the hole bigger. Do this about 20 times all around the mound. in it, and a couple of feet out from it. Then sprinkle the granules all over that area, and use a hose with a multi spray setting and "mist" those granules into the ground. you want to use a ton of water, so that the poison get down into the nest. That will kill that mound and if you are lucky, you will get the queen. If not, you will be good for close to a month or two, before they will try to start again somewher else in the yard.

It has worked for me with pretty good results.

you might also try your local nursery to see what they reccomend or use.

good luck