HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ANTS! ANTS! AND MORE ANTS
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Muskethead
Spike

Default RE: ANTS! ANTS! AND MORE ANTS

I live in Broward County, Florida, (west of Ft. Lauderdale)and I have about a 1/4 acre lot that sits on a lake. We have a major problem withthose South American insects (Ants too)and I buy Ortho Orthene Fire-Ant Killer at Home Depot.I tried other stuff but this is what has worked for me. I have been able to rid my entire yard of those pesky cirtters, because when my wife and I moved in here nine years ago, they were everywhere.I use the Ortho Powder and nothing else. The one I use stinks enought to make you sick if you smell it in a closed area.I always ensure that I have poured it down on top of their nest. i spend some effort in making sureI fully cover the whole nest. I do not waterit in, but I leave it dry and I have been told the ants will carry the poison to the other little knuckleheads. This is a procedure I havebeen following for about eight years and for me anyway it works.I have now had the same can of Ant Killer for this entire year. The rain seemsto attract them, because I seem to see new colonies during our rainy season, but then again I am not an ant expert. I look for their granulated little mounds and that is where I concentrate my efforts. Ant murder is a good thing! Before my present system I even tried burning them with gasoline to no avail. I hope this helps.