Antler Restrictions in Virginia >

Antler Restrictions in Virginia

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Antler Restrictions in Virginia

Old 12-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Antler Restrictions in Virginia

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i haven't read every post so i dunno if this has been brought up or not. AR is a good thing to a certain point BUT can also be bad. if you have a buck(s) in the area or on your property with bad genes and they never exceed the legal antler restrictions so they can be harvested, then you will have them breeding does and spreading the bad genes. these bucks need to be identified and taken out of the herd to maximize QDM.
You make a valid point. But, in practice, no program can be perfect. A certain number of the types of buck you describe will fall through the cracks. Pa, for example, partially addresses this problem by allowing juniors, disabled hunters, and active duty military to disregard AR's.

Personally, I would like to see a sensible AR system put into place in Va. This system could, of course, be tweaked as necessary as experience leads to the emergence ofnew ideas.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Criggster

I do see a problem with AR's east of the Blue Ridge where dogs are used. Because, if a deer is being chased by a dog you are not going to have the opportunity to count anything! Therefore, the only way AR's could work is by not allowing the use of dogs, and I really don't think they will outlaw the use of dogs in eastern VA. So, that is just another point in the argument of AR's. Something to chew on!
I am not a dyed-in-the-wool dog hunter, but do occasionally go as a guest to my son-in-law's club in eastern Va. They use Beagles, and while the deer do not usually cruise casually along the trails or fields, they do not go as fast as one would think. This particular club has their own form of AR's: the rack must be wider than the outstretched ears. If you shoot one narrower than that, you are assessed a $50 fine.

Oh, and the members there also complain about letting small bucksgo only to have them be shot by others.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

My opinion....

VA doesn't really need AR. Look what happend up in PA! [&:]

What VA needs to do is take a good look at each county's deer herd and take whatever measures needed (more bonus doe tags, for instance in Fauquier/Loudon counties, because of the 9,218 does for every 3 bucks). But in places where the bucks are equal to does in numbers, let it be up to the hunter to decide if he wants to shoot a beautiful 8 pointer or let a small spike walk.

Butch A.

Edit: Deer dogs? Nope... ain't going there... I learned my lesson... [:-][&o]
Old 12-12-2006, 11:37 AM

I have been hunting in Va. for 40 years and remeber when doe season was 1 day the last day of the season, I remeber when any deer was a trophey. Consider yourselves in the glory days of being able to harvest all you want, the mentality of most Va. hunters is to kill everything they can, Most hunt clubs stack deer like cord wood. I have returned form my fathers and have seen where people drop a trail of carcasses on side of the road for miles, I have seen piles of deer 4 feet deep after the Tender loins and hind quareters have been removed.It bothers me to see these animals which were so presious only 25 years ago so disrespected. But eventually the huge harvests in my opinion will reduce the populations again. Prince William County opened a Doe only season this year that runs fron Jan 4th until Feb. 4th That should tell you something. I support a trophey only program I have hunted where they work namely British Columbia but until Va. gets a handle on their herd and the mentality of most hunters changes it ain't going to happen.

FYI It was back in the 1940's that there were no DEER in Va. a restocking program began and Deer were purchased from Alabama (90%) and Pennsylvania (10%) today Va.s best tropheys still come from the areas that were stocked with Pennsylvania Deer.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Dog

I have been hunting in Va. for 40 years and remember when doe season was 1 day the last day of the season, I remeber when any deer was a trophey.

I remeber as well. 2 bucks (1 buck a day)and 1 doe with doe day being the last day or two of the season.