Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 antler restrictions >

antler restrictions

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

antler restrictions

Old 12-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default antler restrictions

I was just wondering what everybody thinks about antler restrictions?
I really want them in WV how bout you guys?
Old 12-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: antler restrictions

They are a great thing. Must be patient to see them pay off. Michigan has some antler restricted areas in affect, and you can see a difference. It is difficult otherwise because land owners have such little land. Some may promote QDM yet others shoot anything.

It is difficult though because I do believe some of the younger bucks need to be taken out of the herd.

Just My .02
Old 12-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hate them. A lot.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

In CA there needs to be at least 1 fork. What i wish is that CA would allow us to shoot does........
Old 12-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

I hate them. A lot.
Why do you hate them so much?
Old 12-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

we dont have them in ky.... but on the farm that we hunt we have them, anything below an 8-pointer is a $100 fine... i like them because it gives the smaller deer on the farm a chance to grow into monsters
Old 12-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would think that they would be a good thing,

Rory, who no love? Im interested in hearing some info on this...
Old 12-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trevorpt

we dont have them in ky.... but on the farm that we hunt we have them, anything below an 8-pointer is a $100 fine... i like them because it gives the smaller deer on the farm a chance to grow into monsters
that makes me sick considering we dont have any deer here hardley
Old 12-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

The reason(s) I hate them, is that hunting's not supposed to be about size of antlers. The law also shouldn't tell me what deer I can and cannot shoot. Also, AR's makes a bunch of hunter shoot the first legal buck they have a chance at, which means a lot of 1.5-2.5 year old bucks with great potential being killed. Another reason is, how the hell are you gonna tell a kid he can't shoot a buck because "the government doesn't want us shooting it". Same goes for an adult that's a first time hunter, or hell for that matter, anybody in general. Hunting's a very personal hobby, with all of the personal achievements and goals, and it needs to be kept that way.
Here's a couple "illegal" bucks, if AR's were implemented earlier. The first is a 3.5 year old (mature) 6 point. The second is a 6.5-7.5 (mature) 5 point. After those two pictures, is a 2.5 year old (immature) 7 point. Hmm isn't that wierd?

Old 12-07-2008, 04:19 PM

I have no experience with them so I couldn't give a real opinion. We don't have them in OK.

If they did enforce an AR I don't think it would change my huting very much. From what I have seen, the restrictions in other states don't restrict very much at all. Most go off # of points, which doesn't seem to prove much, to me. It would be nice if there was some sort of age restriction, but there is no way that could be possible. Your average joe hunter simply can't field judge antlers and age on the spot.

Quick Reply: antler restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.