Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Recommendations on deer hunting in SW FL. >

Recommendations on deer hunting in SW FL.

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Recommendations on deer hunting in SW FL.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Recommendations on deer hunting in SW FL.

My oldest son moved toCaptiva Island, Florida last year. He's not familar with the deer hunting situation in that part of the state, or in and around the Ft Myers area. How much deer hunting is there in that part of FL or how far would one travel from there to be in decent deer country? Any info would me appreciated.
He has spent his entire life hunting his homestate of NH as well as Maine.
Thanks, ....Jimmy
Old 07-19-2005, 08:06 PM

Default RE: Recommendations on deer hunting in SW FL.

I fly down to Ft. Myers about twice a week and on the way down I can see woods for miles. Directly Northeast of Ft. Myers the land goes forever. A lot of it looks flooded, but that's good if he likes hunting hogs and swamp bucks. I'm not familiar with the WMA's down that way, but I can see lots of sand roads x'ing theland down there. He should be able to get maps and WMA info on www.myfwc.comTell him good luck in this upcoming season!!
Old 07-20-2005, 01:37 PM

If you are talking about public land, the Everglades and Francis S. Taylor WMA and the Green Swamp WMA are in the vicinity. You can log on to www.wildflorida.org/hunting for more details. The problem with that particular area right now is flooding. Effective on July 18, 2005, the Florida Wildlife Commission entered an emergency order prohibiting all hunting, boating and recreational activities in the area to protect deerdue to unusually high water levels. The order remains in effect until further notice. In times of flooding like this, the deer become stressed and congregate on tree islands.Human activity forces them into the high water where they can starve or get sick or drown. The water level could go down in a couple of weeks, or it could stay high for awhile if more storms come through.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:39 AM

I have lived in Ft. Myers my entire life. There is not much hunting there. The closest places I can think of would be Cecil Webb management area or Babcock Ranch. But Babcock Ranch is very expensive and is selling to a developer. Other than than you can pay big money for a lease that is not worth it or hunt WMA's which is what I do. Good luck and if you need anything let me know, like I said I have lived in this town my whole life!!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:39 PM

The Big Cypress National Preserve is a difficult place to hunt, but if you don't mind the hard work it pays off with deer and turkey, located in Collier County. I got this guythere Dec. 31, 2004. Also you can look into Avon Park Air Force Range in Central Fl.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

You have the Badcock-Webb WMA just off I-75 in Punta Gorda,FL.
79,013 acres and a rifle range to sight-in your rifle.