Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Bobcat Preparation

Old 09-09-2002, 11:28 AM

Default Bobcat Preparation

I did a search, but didn't find the answer I was looking for. For several years, I have been interested in harvesting a bobcat. However, to date I have not been successful. Assuming the my luck changes this season, how do I take care of my cat prior to getting it to the taxidermist? Should I field dress it, or just freeze it whole? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:31 PM

Default RE: Bobcat Preparation

when I was doing my taxidermist work I always told everyone to just freeze them.most people don't know how to cape one out to get it mounted.just make sure you get it frozen pretty quick if it is hot.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bobcat Preparation

The only bob kitty that I had full mounted, I got here in Colo., I froze it for a week before the CDOW could get to my house to inspect it, then I shipped it to Ks. for taxidermy, 'cause it is that much cheaper to have done in Ks. compared to around here. The mount was just fine and taxidermist had no problem with it being froze whole. And like Tree Climber said, most of us won't skin it correctly anyways.