Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Whistle Pigs

Old 08-31-2002, 04:47 PM

Default Whistle Pigs

OK, someone out there has to be able to answer this question. I've lived and hunted in Colorado for 15 years. While perusing this years' small game regs, I again came across the Marmot season dates. Have any of you in the Rocky Mountain region hunted for and eaten the 'ol Whistle Pig, and if so, how do you prepare it, and how does it taste?
Old 09-01-2002, 05:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-01-2002, 06:22 AM

Default RE: Whistle Pigs

The Colorado Groundhog.
I understand (haven't done so) that the eastern ones are like beef. I'm not sure what the marmot eats.
Prepare them like a roast (in a roasting pan with lid) and season accordingly

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-01-2002, 01:52 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'll tip one over, and give it a go. I'm a pretty skilled cook and have always been something of a culinary daredevil, but I hate the thought of killing something and then finding it inedible. Maybe I could grind it up for the dogs if it is, in fact, awful. Still curious to hear from someone who has partaken of one. (or more)
Old 09-03-2002, 05:58 PM

I have had it that someone else made it.It was awesome ,tasted like beef stew.I dont know what he had all in it but I know he made it in a crockpot and let it simmer for 6-8 hrs.It was also young ones.I will try to get you the recipe,it may be a few weeks before I talk to him.

Old 09-06-2002, 01:31 PM

Interesting, Ploopy. Thanks for the reply. Since initially writing this, I now recall this 'ol boy from Leadville that I used to work with. I remember him talking about eating marmot. He was a man of few words, though and did'nt say much about it except that he had eaten it since he was a kid, and that it was "good". I'm willing to bet there is a reason for that 6-8 hours in a crock pot. With all that running in, around and under rocks, they probably are a bit stringy.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-10-2002, 06:03 PM

Here are two recipes I got from a friend and my mom
Cut all the fat off the Ground hog
Marinate overnight 1 egg ,1 pint of milk 3 teaspoons of Lawrys season salt and 2 tablespoons of honey
the next day drain completely roll in flour and brown in skillet.Then bake until tender at 350degrees

recipe 2
roll in flour then brown in skillet
put in casserole dish with a half cup of water put lid on and put in oven @ 350 derees for 1 hour then mix 1 onion diced,half cup of brown sugar and a half cup of ketchup roast until tender.

Let me know how you like it.

Old 09-11-2002, 05:28 AM

Sounds good Ploopy.
Thanks!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!