Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.223 wssm for Yotes?

Old 01-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default .223 wssm for Yotes?

We're having such a bad yote problem on our place that we've had to start taking them whenever we have the opportunity while deer and turkey hunting. Even though we're only taking to control their population, I hate to ruin the pelts and just leave them laying. I've been searching for something that I can be comfortable with for deer, but that would not destroy the yotes. The new Winchester .223 wssm looks interesting and I'm curious if anyone here has used it on yotes?
Old 01-06-2005, 12:50 PM

Default RE: .223 wssm for Yotes?

the 223 wssm will work great for coyotes but may not be legal to hunt deer with. it will kill a deer but i would use somthing a bit bigger. i use my 308win for deer and coyote 150gn ballistic silvertip for deer and 147gn fmj for coyotes. the fmj leaves small holes in the pelt.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, Nighthawk. I will check that out as well. FYI, here's an excerpt and link to the article that got me interested in the .223 wssm. Its about a test deer hunt they did here in my home state. Impressive...

"We took a total of 13 deer with the new 64-grain .223 WSSM on the hunt, including one 207-pound trophy buck that went down at 125 yards. All were one-shot fatalities. All fell within the same distance of initial point of impact, as I would have anticipated with similar shot placement from a .30-30, 7mm-08, or similar “standard” deer cartridge. Typically, the bullets did not exit, but bullet upset was explosive and internal organ damage was devastating. One hunter placed a shot in the base of an approaching deer’s neck at about 65 yards that did penetrate through the opposite front shoulder. The exit wound was more than three inches in diameter with completely shattered shoulder bones exposed. I shot a large doe at 75 yards from the quartering rear, impact just in front of the last rib into the thoracic cavity. No exit, but the collapse of the expansion shock cavity expelled lung tissue and internal organ debris more than 10 feet back out the entrance wound toward my position. The deer ran about 50 feet, with massive bleeding, and collapsed."
Full article:http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootin...es.asp?ID=4836
Old 01-07-2005, 01:25 PM

wow! sounds good to me if you know you can hit your taget in the heet of the moment go for it. but i like to shoot a lot and dont have the money to shoot that new wssm very much at all. i can buy approx 200rds of 308 ammo for the price of one box(20rds) of 223wssm ammo. if you dont shoot that much or have a lot more money than i have to spend on ammo. then im shure it would be a great round for you.