Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Labs and small game????

Old 01-03-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Labs and small game????

I have a three year old lab that I origionaly got with the hopes of training her to hunt ducks. I began training her for that but with a new house and two small children I did not have the $$$ for all the gear to begin duck hunting myself so the training stopped.

My question is can I get her out in the field hunting small game? I know labs can be effective at flushing birds but there are not that many upland birds in my area. Can she be of use to push out squirles and rabbits? I don't have much experience hunting anything but deer and turkey, but would like to learn. Anyone who has any ideas would be very helpful.

Would she be any help in the field without specific small game training? If there is a particular training she would need prior to going out, what would that be?
My biggest concern is how to keep her safe, I have never hunted behind a dog, neither have my few buddies that I would possubly bring along.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Labs and small game????

I have a lab that "feches" rabits that I have not shot ,unhurt but pissed.
I would never try to shoot a rabit that he is chasing ,to much chance of hitting him.
Probley be easy to teach it to tree squirls.
Dose it have the basic obedance stuff down?
In the woods it must come ,can't be chasing it .
Old 01-03-2005, 03:54 PM

That is what I was affraid of. Mine already catches small birds out of the bushes and plays with them, does not hurt them, just slobers all over them and leaves them at the door when she comes in. She does have an electronic collar that I began training her with when I was going to use her for ducks. Would it be possible to train her to stop once the rabbit or whatever is running or would trying to make her stop once she begins chasing it spoil her desire to find them in the first place??? If I am making her stop as soon as she flushes it is she eventualy going to think that chasing them is bad????
Old 01-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I am making her stop as soon as she flushes it is she eventualy going to think that chasing them is bad????
Probely not if she can fetch it after you shoot it .
Old 01-03-2005, 11:48 PM

in general lab like to please their master they will do amazing thing i think you could train her for rabbits like that or most any hunting