Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Fox and Coyote hunting??

Old 04-15-2004, 09:57 AM

Default Fox and Coyote hunting??

I live in Minnesota and have been hunting fox and coyotes unsuccessfully for years. A few years ago my friend bought an electronic call to see if that would help us become more successful and we were dissapointed that it hadnt. Then recently i went out and decided to start out with my hand call and instantly had coyotes respond, however, they would not come in, so i decided to try to turn on the electric (which i had placed out already) and as soon as i did they quit howling and never came in. Is there a reason for this? I was wondering if maybe the electronic calls had been used too much, in our area although we hadnt hunted it for at least a year, could they be educated and afraid of the calls?? I really could use some help.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fox and Coyote hunting??

Well, I'll try to answer the last part of your question first! If you are positive that the area has not been called for a year or more, than they should not be call shy, and should respond to a call. By changing calls, a hunter should be able to call the same area two weekends in a row and have success. By changing calls, I mean, for example, change from only using distress to only using howling. You can't expect to call the same coyote by only changing distress sounds, usually. But, by changing sounds, changing your set up location and time of day will all help fool a coyote more than once.
Why coyotes howl and not come to the call some times is a question that many veteran coyote callers would like to know. We are learning "what the coyote is saying" when he howls more and more. So, until we know what they are saying when they howl, we can only guess that, 1) they have heard that tune before and aren't falling for it again, 2) they busted ya when you came into the area, 3) they simply aren't interested in what you had to offer! etc. etc.
Don't give up on the area that you obviously knows holds coyotes, such as where you heard them howl, instead, next time try to change your calling location, how you approach the area, and change calling sounds.
If the coyotes haven't been called in and shot at, they can still be called in. It is just a matter of offering them what they want. This time of year, howling may be the best calling sound to use, BUT, when you use howls to call a coyote, you need to say the right thing, because you are now talking coyote language, and if they don't like what you have to say, then, again, they may respond, but not come. Also, pup distress should work well this time of year too.
It can be frustrating sometimes, when trying to fool 'ol wiley to come to you, but IMO, there is nothing that compares to it, when it works. Often times, the first coyote is the hardest to get, once you start having success, it gets a little easier, and when you fail, you can blame the coyote and not yourself and your techniques.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the info and your help. I think that i might try a pup in distress but i am going to check with our local fur buyer to see if they will still be prime in our area.

thanks again for your help

Isaac
Old 04-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell ya that they will not still be prime this time of the year any where in the lower 48. If you are lookin' for a prime pelt, you'll have to wait until late next fall, early winter through about the end of Feb., early March. Plus, they will have pups by now too, so unless you are willing to locate the den, you will be leaving the pups to starve!
Old 04-16-2004, 06:03 PM

I hunt in Southern Minnesota as well. I've had little success with the "classic" calls (pup in distress, coyote challenge, rabbit distress, etc) either hand or electronic. However, I DID come across two calls that have worked for me almost 90% of the time. I may be shooting myself in the foot here if you hunt the same area, but: In an area with a lot of farms (like where I hunt) I've found that these two things work: 1) A turkey diaphragm call. Just chirp and cluck, you aren't trying to call in a turkey here. I learned this after hunting turkeys and getting coyotes come to call at dang near every set-up. You don't need a farm, but I think that maybe the coyotes think that a domesticated turkey may have escaped and are looking for an easy and plump meal. The other: A wounded or distressed cat call. Johnny Stewart actually makes a cat in distress tape you can buy. I think that all coyotes in the area I hunt have been called to before, by inexperienced predator hunters and that may have something to do with dogs being call shy.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:15 AM

Thanks for your info....i dont think that you have to worry about me hunting the same areas as you cause i hunt in midwest minnesota and i hunt mainly private lands. However i was wondering if using the turkey calls for coyotes may educate the turkeys in the area. I have been seeing many around us and as far as i know they have never been hunted before... would it be a bad idea to use the turkey call on coyotes before i hunt the turkeys? Otherwise i will try your housecat in distress call and see if that works for me. Anyways thanks for all your help...maybe i will get my first coyote or fox next year now
Thanks again,
Isaac