Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Trapping Coyotes

Old 04-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Trapping Coyotes

Does anyone trap coyote's with any amount of success? I would be interesed in getting rid of a few here and would like to know some methods.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:00 AM

Default RE: Trapping Coyotes

Yeah, I used to trap coyotes... but successfully isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe it! Even fox aren't that easy to trap, IMO. If I were you, I'd switch to a rifle! Otherwise, here's a standard trapping method: Get some pocket gopher dirt (it's scent free), a dirt seive, and a big stick. I really feel that using a scent stick works well. Load a cotton ball up with, I think it's a territorial scent, all I know is that it amkes your eyes water. Then, put the cotton ball on top of a semi-tall stick (about 3 feet off the ground). Make a recess for your trap at the base of the stick. My favorite trap is a double coil spring for this, by the way. Anyway, put some fiberglass under your pan NOT the solid stuff, the fluffy kind that REALLY makes you itch... it keeps dirt from getting under the trap pan, resulting in the trap not going off. Using the seive, cover the trap, leaving the pan semi-exposed, with dirt. When the fox comes to investigate the scent wick, he'll circle the stick and eventually step into the trap. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work! I've got skunks, coon, and house cats instead of fox in the past. How this set-up will work for coyotes, I don't know. The most important thing is to keep the area scent free! Use knee high rubber boots, rubber gloves, and don't let the trap or any of the dirt touch your clothing. I will admit, it's been a LONG time since I set a fox trap... maybe your best bet would be to search online for a good set. There's a magazine I get at home, maybe they have a web site: It's called The Trapper and Predator Caller. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2004, 05:17 PM

I USE #3 COIL SPRINGS. I USE DOUBLE SWIVELS ON A CHAIN. CHAIN LENGTH ABOUT A FOOT AND A HALF. I USE REROD WELDED TO THE CHAIN. I DIG A HOLE6-8 INCHES DEEP AND LAY DOWN A PIECE OF CHEESE CLOTH. I THEN BED MY TRAP ON THIS. I PUT IT DOWN FIRMLY AND MAKE SURE IT DOESNT ROCK ANY WHERE. REMOVE ANY STONES.I THEN SIFT THE EXCESS DIRT OVER THE TRAP. YOU CAN ALSO LAY THE CHEESE CLOTH OVER THE TRAP BEFORE SIFTING THE DIRT. I DIG A HOLE ON AN ANGLE ABOT 3 INCHES IN DIAMETER BEHIND THE TRAP AND PLACE MY BAIT IN THIS. I ALSO PUT A STONE OR SMALL LOG BEHIND THIS BAIT HOLE SO THE COYOTE HAS TO COME TO THE BAIT FROM THE FRONT, SO HE STEPS IN THE TRAP FIRST. I PUT UP A SCENT PLOE ABOUT 50 YARDS AWAY
Old 04-05-2004, 04:15 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Snaring would be the easiest and quickest way to get them. If that isn't an option I would reccommend two books, Master Wolfer by James Lucero and Coyote Fever by Ray Milligan. Both books are inexpensive and tell you everything from equipment, location and techniques. They also have videos available if that would be better suited to you.
http://www.minntrapprod.com/
The link is an excellent site that has all the books, and the equipment that you need.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:22 AM

Hey, the most successful set that i have had is finding a treeline or fenceline that the coyotes or fox have been using and find a point or a corner that is heavily used and sticks out from the rest. Then find something like a heavy tree branch to hang your bait...jackrabbits work well...hang the bait about 2 ft. off the ground. Also it helps to use some visual attractant like fur. Then place your trap/traps near the bait where you expect the animal to land when jumping for the bait. When i cover my traps i like to use some wet leaves to place on the trap that barely fit inside the jaws and cover it with dirt from a seive. The leaves work well to keep dirt out from under the pan and help camoflauge the trap. Be sure to stake your traps firmly and check them daily because more than once i have had coyotes rip stakes from the ground or even break chains. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably try all these methods , because I intend to limit all of my trapping to my own land. I also heard of one the other day from a guy that says he has had success with. He digs a post hole in the ground about 2-3 feet deep. He'll then take a hide . .deer , dog, whatever and stake it down in the hole, with about half of it protruding on the ground. He puts two or three traps around the area. The idea is for the yote to be struggling with the hide and stepping in the traps.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:59 PM

make a dirthole set( I usually drive my trap stake about 10 iches into the ground at a 45 degree angle and waller it around and remove, you will ow have something that resembles a mouse hole) now scrape out a trap bed 12 inches back from the holeand offset 3 inches to the side. bed needs to be just deep enough that trap will set down inside with about a half inch of dirt sifted over the top. Pack dirt tightly around outside of trap jaws. Finished set should be level with or slightly lower than ground around trap bed. Place fist sized dirt clod or old cow bone or something similar behind dirthole up tight to back edge,squirt a little fox urine on it and put a couple pea sized globs of coyote or fox lure in hole. Use only strong,clean scent free traps of size 1 3/4 or larger,#3 coils are in my opinion the best. Or save some time and trouble and hang a snare(if legal) where they are coming thru a fence(make sure there are no free roaming dogs). Hope this helps, if ya need more info go to www.trapperman.com plenty of people there to help you out plus detailed descriptions of variuos sets. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]