Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

coyote hunting

Old 11-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default coyote hunting

well on sat. morning right after i get done hunting i'm goin to a stand and breakin out teh coyote calls!!!!!!! has anybody ever called coyote? i have had some luck but not enought if u ask me. i really want to get a yote w/ a bow. i think shooting 1 of them would b harder then shootin a deer

Old 11-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: coyote hunting

Yeah buddy, I been wanting to stick one with a bow too. You probably don't want to do this near your deer stand, but if you plan to hunt them in the woods, use a light distress call. A fawn distress would probably work well this time of year with all the recently departed does. Bird and rodent distress is also effective in the woods. If you plan to hunt near a field, you could also use a distress call, but you may consider a howler. Howlers are great and will definitely get a coyote's attention, but you will no doubt spook every deer in your zip code. Since you are going out Saturday you have time to get an instructional cd or dvd on this. I recommend the Primos, Truth - Calling All Coyotes, instructional dvd. They sell it at wal mart or bass pro. It shows you how to use all the different types of calls, distress and howlers, and also has some good hunting footage. I know you are excited about this, but you really may want to put it off until deer season is over. It's just hard to hunt coyotes without spooking everything else. Whatever you decide, good luck this weekend.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:55 PM

Rabbit sqealer works about the best. I have shot coyotes with a shotgun out of my stand and shot deer 20 minutes later. To get them close enough you might need some kind of bait to dangle on the ground once you see one. Good luck and have fun, hunting yotes can be addicting
Old 11-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

yup rabbit sqealer distress i'd say is the best put out by primos there like $8.00
Old 11-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt coyotes year round.. they are fun, but ill tell ya they are hard, and if you can get one with ur bow youre a pro.. if you wanna try with the bow tho you will have to be in a stand and during the day.. coyotes are mostly nocturnal so it will be hard to have them really interested during the day especially in places like pa and ohio.. but its fun and i been at coyote hunting for about 2 years now.. its fun.. get your first and you will be hooked..