Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 new to this board  new advice on yotes. >

new to this board new advice on yotes.

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

new to this board new advice on yotes.

Old 01-23-2004, 04:09 AM

Default new to this board new advice on yotes.

hello all !

this is my first time in this forumn before and i have some questions for all you yote hunters.
i will give you a brief update on what i am thinking of doing so you can all understand what i want to do.
but now since where i live where there is no hunting in my town the yote and foxes run rampid down my private street.
i grew up hunting and was taught " shoot only what you intend to eat ". but now i am loosing my cats and almost lost my dog to one crafty yote hiding int he brush near my house while i was walking him at night.
now since i start seeing that this is a ongoing problem i have decided to help out with trying to do my share of aking some out.
i will be hunting in maine where i usually hunt my deer and black bear. i know they are all around becuase of the tracks and them barking/yelping in the morning going to my stand during november..

well here is my question(s)...

what is the best way to hunt them? still hunting, stalking, sitting?
what is a good all to get a yote to come into me so that i can dissperse him/her? ( don't want to spend a arm and leg on these electric calls )
also what type of cammo should i wear? white or regular hutning fatiuges i use hunting?
do they have good sight like a turkey? to pick up the hunters trying to get them?
how often do i use the call?
best time to hunt them?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:35 AM

Default RE: new to this board new advice on yotes.

Quilly.

Read my post on New Hampshire coyote hunting just a few reports down. I live 2 towns over from you here in Mass, and you don't have to travel all the way to Maine for good predator hunting .. we have some good spots in our area. If you are looking for places to start .... go to the Mass Wildlife web site and look up pheasant stocking sites. They are all public spots, that except for a few weeks during October are all but empty... and most of them have good populations of fox and coyote.

Wear camo that blends in ....and I wouldn't recommend your orange deer hunting jacket .. they'll peg you from MILES away.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new to this board new advice on yotes.

Quilly, I was taught the same thing about only hunting and killing what I could or would use, this applies to coyotes too, at least for me. The pelts are worth some decent money once again, so if you can find a fur buyer or even a local taxidermist that might want your pelts, they can be sold!
Like MA Jay said, don't wear your orange, wear what ever camo blends into the surroundings best. You don't need an expensive electronic caller. For the most part, any predator call on the market will work. I'd suggest picking up a couple closed reed cottan or jack rabbit calls. If you've got an idea what a distressed rabbit should sound like, you're good to go. If you have no idea what the sound should be, I'd suggest picking up a predator hunting video and try to learn the sounds. Their eye sight isn't great, but they are very quick about seeing un-natural movement and they don't stand around looking trying to figure it out, they will turn and begin to leave, and if they smell you, they will leave even quicker. Best time is any time in winter, if it's cold they will come any time of the day, but early mornings and early evenings should be best, unless you can hunt them at night, as that is when they are most active. When you set up to call them in, stay on stand, and stay alert from the start to about 15 to 20 minutes. They may show up after just one series on the rabbit screamer and they may show up about the time you stand up to leave.
I'd say trying to call them in is your best bet when compared to spot and stalk or just sitting waiting for one to happen by, unless you've got a dead carcass of some sort that they are feeding on, then you could sit and watch it and maybe have some action. Good Luck!!