Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 what am i doing wrong with callin yotes? >

what am i doing wrong with callin yotes?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

what am i doing wrong with callin yotes?

Old 01-18-2004, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what am i doing wrong with callin yotes?

i dono what i am doing wrong. when i went out at 4 this evening i used the locator call. i know that i am callin right cuz i sound like it does on the instructional tape. anyway went out and it was still sunny out and hardly no wind. but ver very cold like -10 to -20. but i drove around and called in places that i have seen yotes in the last 2 weeks. but i jus pulled over off the road and tried to see if i could locate some. but nothin answered. i tried in about 10 different spots. trees, sloughs, hills. is it cuz i dont walk away from my pickup. i figured that they should hear me about a mile or 2 away and should awnser. i am prty sure there are yotes in the areas i tried. and then went back out at dark 6:30. still nothing awnsered back. FYI i am using a Mini Mag howler. do u have any ideas.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:22 PM

Default RE: what am i doing wrong with callin yotes?

i would have to saw it is because you didn`t walk there its hapned to me before
Old 01-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I learned long ago that just becuase you howl and you sound like a coyote, DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY WILL ANSWER YOU! Using the howler is much more than just locating. For all you know, you may have howled, and a coyote, or two, headed your way to check out the new comer, but the new comer got in his truck and drove off[] Now the coyotes could start to associate that particular howl to danger! It is fun to drive the roads, at night, stop every now and then and howl, just to see if you can get a responce, but I'd suggest not doing that in the area that you plan to call in, especailly if you plan on using that particular howler. Instead, go into your area, set up to call, and start with your howler, howl two or three times, then sit for about 5 minutes, and if no one shows up, start using your rabbit squeels, Now, if there is a coyote in the area, and he hears a new comer, he may be interested and may even come before you start rabbit squeels, but if you don't see one coming and start rabbit blues, then he will think the new comer just caught a snack and will most likely want to come and steal/share it with you.
I'd say I get a vocal responce to my howls maybe 1 in 5 sets when I start with a lone howl, and if I get a responce, I almost always call in at least one coyote, but I have had many a time when I started with a howl and either didn't need any distress sounds before they showed or they showed up soon after starting distress sounds.
So no reponse is normal, but don't be fooled into thinking that if they don't answer that they aren't around.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok thnks. i will have to try that. do you know how a mouse sqeeker call does. if it is jus as good as a rabbit call. cuz right now all i got for calls are a howler and a mouse sqeeker.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure which mouse squeeker you've got, but it will work if the coyote can hear it, but you'd up your effective calling range by getting yourself another call. I personally like open reed calls over closed reed calls because I can vary the pitch easily. There are many calls to choose from, but get yourself a cottantail distress or jack rabbit distress call and I think your luck will change.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

thnks howler. went back out today at 1 and sat in a tree stand were i have heard yotes before. nothing. called for awhile then waited then called. nothin came so i used the howler and nothing. so i decided to head home. very cold out -1 and little windy not bad and snowing alittle bit. i dono what is going on but i guess i am jus new to it so i gota keep trying. i wish i had some one here that could show me how to do it so i could find out what i am doing wrong. but i thnk that i either need to get a rabbit distress call or get an electric caller. if i get an electric caller that way i know i am not calling wrong. thnks howler u have been lots of help.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

mrfishy, you've got mail. Let me know if you didn't get it!
Old 01-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

howler i got it
Old 01-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna second what Howler said, I'm betting there are some newly wary coyotes in your area.