Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

callin em in!!??

Old 09-14-2002, 05:55 PM

Default callin em in!!??

My question is how to call in a damn goose.....everything i try doesn't seem to be working....if you can tell me some methods that work for you that would be cool....i been huntin the hay feild for the last 3 days with no luck....please help...mind you i only have a regular goose call....thanks
Old 09-14-2002, 11:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: callin em in!!??

Are you using decoys? Or just blind calling (as we call it)? Are the birds feeding in this field? What is the setup?

Now calling geese isn't as simple as blowing on a call, you have to practice, listen and learn from actual geese. You have to know when to stop or go, tone vary and use different calls (contact, greeting, comeback, etc.) Most important don't be discouraged, b/c it takes time, practice and loads of patience.

I would suggest answering some of the above question, so we can better understand what maybe happening.

Good Luck!

Old 09-15-2002, 08:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-16-2002, 07:55 AM

yes....the feild i am hunting i know they are feeding in....and yes i am using deeks....only a dozen..all i got for now. I was once told to just try to spot em....then honk once to get their attention...listen to them then copy what they do...well either im not sounding right or they just dont really give a hoot!....been hunting the feild for three days straight trying new things but with no luck....i think imma go out and get a video or something..but if you have any pointers let me hear em....THANKS!
Old 09-24-2002, 03:20 PM

Something wrong here; you say the geese are feeding in the field you're hunting in and you've been there for 3 days? Where have the geese been going while you're in their field? If you've scouted the field beforehand and the geese are consistently coming into the same field for morning and afternoon feedings then as soon as they leave to go back to water go to the exact spot they were feeding in and setup. Hopefully you're fully camo'ed. When they come back for their next feeding you won't even need to call. But the key is to be totally camo'ed. Once they have been shot at in that field they will not come back there and will look for new feeding areas.

Old 09-29-2002, 01:38 AM
Fork Horn

I've been trying to blow a call for 20 years now. Just haven't got the knack. But I still kill a lot of birds. Sounds like they WERE feeding in your field. They can't go 3 days without eating. Do you ever see them? If so do you follow them? If you got a feeding field you don't need any decoys if the law permits. Dead ones make great dekes.