Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

caught without my gun

Old 01-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default caught without my gun

This week is midterms at my school. After school some of us went over to TRs house to shoot pool down in his basement. We turned on the radio and shot pool and just generally just shot the s***. So after we left I followed my buddy Chuck, his brother Mike, and his buddy Nick over to a property they hunt on. We didnt bring our guns because we didnt really plan on goin over there, just an after thought after we went back upstairs.
We drive back in and park and we are walkin down this 4wheeler trail just kinda laughin, jokin around, talkin and we get down there about 400yds and we jumped a HUGE red fox[]. 15yds in front of me and none of us have a gun[:@]
Ive never killed a fox, there arent many around where I hunt cause its mostly ag. fields and the coyotes are keepin fox population down to a bare minimum. 15yds, and all we can do is watch it run down the side of the ridge and on up the other side. I swear all our faces were just like this: [][][][].
Were gonna go back tomorrow and me and Chuck are gonna go on one side and Nick and Mike are gonna go on the other and we are gonna walk around huntin squirrel, rabbit, maybe coon, and hopefully a fox
Hopefully after school were gonna go get our guns and run over there and see what happens
Old 01-14-2004, 04:55 PM

Default RE: caught without my gun

Hey man. That really had to suck, a good rule of thumb when ever you go look at huntin land take some kind of gun just in case. I know what its like i was hangin out with some friends and we were just ridin the 4-wheeler around the back feild during the fall. We went to switch riders and we look down about 35-40 yards and see this huge yote sittin in the middle of the field. I dont recomend you do this but I got the smart idea to play chicken with it an we havent seen it since. Anyways good luck with your fox i know what you mean by them bein thinned out.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:46 PM

I've had something like that happen to me before. So i solved that problem by ALWAYS carrying a gun with me if im in the woods. Usually just a .22 pistol or shotgun but sometimes other things. Just be ready is all i can say.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I wont make that mistake again
Well, I just talked to Chuck and after school we are gonna swing by my house and pick up my gun and his house is on the way over to the property so we will stop to let him grab his gun and we are goin squirrel hunting. Hopefully we will get some tree rats for supper, and maybe run into that fox again
Old 01-15-2004, 02:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

That does suck. I know the feeling too way. If i told you all the stories of caught without a gun or bow i would be typing too long. Here is just a few. One time when i went camping with about 8 of my friends. On the way back up the 'green mile' (actually its 3 miles) I saw this really nice buck. I couldnt tell you what class but it looked to by an 10 pointer. Another time was when my dad and I went to the same area looking for quail. On the way through this real real small town, there was a quail feeding on the side of the road. And the last story was probably the hardest because pheasant are hard to find much less find a spot where farmers wont have (pardon the expression) a cow if you are stampin all over their crops. I was dove hunting and i got one that landed in some fields. When i went there to retrieve it, out flew this hen. I wasnt really caught without a gun in that case but i might as well have been. Wasnt pheasant season and i wasnt going to poach it. I think i made a good call on that one [:-]
Old 01-15-2004, 08:03 AM

I had something like this happen 2 years ago when gun huntin for deer. I had a coyote chase about 30 turkeys right at me and into their roosting tree. I kid you not he came within 10 feet. I was going to blast his butt with my 20 ga. but i was more concerned with getting a deer. Next time, i am skinnin a 'yote.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had another incident happen again when i was dove hunting with my dad. We were hunting in front a fence that runs along a canal. It was getting slow so and i have to take a leak so i put my gun off the side and do it. As i am going, i look to my left and see a dove almost right over me. I reach for my gun, turn around and get it. My dad was laughing at me and said 'Did you plan to shoot it or **** it?." I was hanging out lol
Old 01-19-2004, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Yea went you scout land you should bring a gun

red hawk lol
Old 01-19-2004, 06:37 PM

yeah truly not good being out and about and have no gun.

Red Hawk--that was truly funy, my wife was reading thread's with me and she got a kick out of it also.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah it was pretty embarassing even though my dad was the only one who noticed. Looking back at it now its pretty funny..didnt even get my boots wet either