Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Fine callin or raspy callin >

Fine callin or raspy callin

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fine callin or raspy callin

Old 04-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fine callin or raspy callin

This is sure to get some different responses. About 10 years ago my dad had a penns woods #1 single reed call, boy was it ever high piched. After callin for all the turkey experts in the neighborhood they said " boy that call is afull fine. We like ours a little more raspy than that". My father answered by saying " If you call a phone sex hotline and get ahold of an old gal that has a real deep voice are you gonna be turned on as much as the little petite soundin girl?" Ha Ha . He had tremendous luck with this call, but he did alot more than just callin as we all know. So whats your favorite call I would like to know.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fine callin or raspy callin

Raspy calls hide alot of the flaws, whereas a higher pitched call you better be doing it right. I think there is a time for both. Personally, many of mine that I really like are raspy calls. But my TR-1 and BF-1 from the primos line are pretty high pitched and I like them as well. They make for easy clucks, and purrs. If I had to pick, I'd go with a raspy call. While the "phone sex hotline" might work with humans, I'm not sure it works as well with turkeys. In the turkey world, more often than not, a high pitched call is a younger hen, and a raspy call is an older boss hen. If you're a gobbler, you probably want a woman with a little more experience.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like mine to be right on the edge of raspy.... clean and high up top with a snappy, ragged finish. Imagine a girl whose voice is changing as she comes of age.... thats kinda the idea. The good part about it though, is you can control whether you want a soft, high pitched, clear note or a deeper, raspier note.

There are times when I use nothing but high pitched calls.... and other times the birds seem to want to hear raspy calls. I like to mix it up and let the birds tell me what they want to hear.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like to change the pressure on my mouth calls to give it a raspy sound mixed with a few high pitched ones in one yelp series. 3 raspy, one high pitched, another raspy, a couple more high pitched, you get the point. Kinda sound like a sick hen, or one thats going through puberty in the middle of a yelp. A lot of toms love it, and sometimes its just what you need to pull a weary bird in close.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as they make your ears pop alittle they both will work.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the old raspy call... I dont know why i've just had good luck with it
Old 04-09-2009, 09:41 AM

Check out my post about turkey calling tips! And on hunting strategies, it might help.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Typical Buck

I love the old raspy call... I dont know why i've just had good luck with it
I must agree whith this statement.