Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The buck caught me in the act, then I caught him!! >

The buck caught me in the act, then I caught him!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The buck caught me in the act, then I caught him!!

Old 11-04-2005, 09:50 AM

Default The buck caught me in the act, then I caught him!!

Yesterday morning was almost perfect, about 40 degrees, clear, crisp, no wind. I was hunting a very secluded oak ridge that I had been pressuring hard lately. Minnesota's gun season opens on Saturday, so the race is on to geta buck before the orange army hits the woods and all patterns are out the window. I had seen 5 different bucks the last few days from this spot but all younger ones.2 full days to hunt undisturbed deer.

I had not seen a thing at 7:55am when I decided to do my second series of can calls and grunts. I stood up, did my calls and was hit hard by the urge to do #1 from my treestand. I have never had a deer react negatively to human urine so I dont worry about peeing in a bottle. Well I was in midstream when I hear something, look up and see this decent buck closing the gap fast. I had no idea it was possible to stop in midstream but a good buck and adrenaline makes anything possible!! I turn to the other side of mytreestand and find my shooting lane at about 28 yards. He is coming right through it but at a good clip. As soon as his nose hits the lane I mouth bleat and he stops, chest dead center in the lane. I'm already anchored, I center the pin and release. The thunderhead hits home and quietly dissaprears behind his shoulder. The bucks bolts about 40 yards and stops, looking in all directions, not a clue what just happened.

As he is standing there his tail begins to wag, just like a dog. Its just whipping back and forth. He takes a step to his left and tries to bed down. I cant see too well where he lays but I can see the brush and some of his antlers move everytime he moves his head. For about 30 seconds this goes on, then finally, all the brush tips over and his antlers dissapear, he's finished. 15 minutes go by and I watch intentlty for any movement. There is none, but I am feeling a draft. I look down. Remember how he caught me midstream?? WellI never bothered to put anything away when I saw him coming! Amen for short ATA bows!!

He's an almost perfect 8 with a 19" inside spread, not huge, but I'm happy.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The buck caught me in the act, then I caught him!!

LOL! A classic hunting story to enjoy for years to come. Congrats. Nice Buck.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good story
Old 11-04-2005, 10:15 AM

hahaha.......oh man thats funny! nice deer too! congrats
Old 11-04-2005, 10:22 AM

Congrats on a nice buck and good story!

BTW: Nice picture too

Old 11-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about a picture........................................... ......of the buck
Old 11-04-2005, 10:38 AM

thats great, nice deer....where in minnesota?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:40 AM

Great story...I'll have to tell that one to my friends.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice buck MN and a funny story. I don't want to even think about getting ole one eyed willie caught up in my solo cam. OUCH!!!![][]
Old 11-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man that was funny. I was wondering if you put your gun back in the holster before shooting. Lol old one eye got to witness the shot, was he impressed with your markmanship? Anyway, awesome buck, and great story to go along with it. Congrats buddy.

Shane

Quick Reply: The buck caught me in the act, then I caught him!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.