Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote howling

Old 12-26-2003, 10:52 PM

Default Coyote howling

Does anyone know where I can order a video tape on howling for yotes. I rented one once and it was pretty good. I read an article today though and it reminded that breeding season is soon upon us. I need to learn how to do a howl that sounds something like this; "I'm a studly yote dawg looking for a lady yote to spend about an hour with" that kind of sound! Any advice?
I use my elk bugle for howling and it works great. I just need to know what it is I'm saying to them.
Thanks in advance.

critch
Old 12-27-2003, 12:11 AM

Default RE: Coyote howling

i went to sportsmans warehouse tonight in Spokane, Washington. It is right in spokane valley, near the mall. They have tons of tapes, and videos on calling! they have calls that come with tapes, or just plain tapes you can buy. Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:07 AM

Critch,

A really good movie to watch if you want to learn more about howling would be "Calling all Coyotes with Randy Anderson". It is about a 2 hour movie, he goes over how to make about any type of howl there is. It s a good movie and i picked up more than a few tips off of there. I know you can get it from cabelas and probably about any other sporting goods store.

Good luck
Tom
Old 12-27-2003, 11:52 AM

Thanks guys! After I posted my question I took my own advice and went to predatormasters.com and found "Calling all coyotes". I also found calls and howlers.
I think I'll go to Sportsman's Warehouse to see all the nice toys they have. I love that place. Thanks again. I knew I'd get good advice.
I should be fixed up here pretty soon.

critch
Old 12-27-2003, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

critch, you're certainly on the right track in that you definatly need to know what you are "saying" when you use a howler on coyotes. With a howler, if you say the wrong thing at the wrong time, it will end the hunt without you even knowing it. So, I'd also suggest checking out Randy's video's, and learn what the coyote sounds mean and when to use them. Coming into the mating season is prime time to use the howler. Learn to say the right thing at the right time, and don't over use it, and you have a very good tool for calling in call shy, late season coyotes. Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2003, 08:29 PM

Howler, should I get a "male howler call"? I saw one advertised on predmstrs.com. I think I'll go to Sportsmans Warehouse tomorrow or Monday. I got my hide stretchers out of the barn today. I hope to keep rotating them for the next month or more.
Randy Anderson has "Calling all coyotesII out now. I think the ad said it is about 4 hours long. I could waste a lot of time watching that one!
Can't wait to get the tapes, howlers and other toys all together and start playing.
Thanks again gentlemen.

critch
Old 12-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, a guy would be best off with a howler that can give all coyote vocalizations, male and female. The female/young male vocalizations are basically the same. They are a higher pitch than what a dominant male would sound like. You'd be less likely to scare off less dominant coyotes with the higher pitched sounds, and the more dominant male will respond to the younger male/female sounds too. There are times when a guy needs the old dog sounds, for instance, when calling and trying to imitate a pair of coyotes, or if you're calling and a dominant male responds by howling at you, you can then use a challenge howl in the lower pitch, to challenge the old coyote, which may get him to respond. If I had to choose between male and female sounds, I'd go with a howler that gives good female vocalizations. Why? Mainly because by using female howls, you're less likely to scare off the less dominant coyotes and there are more situations where I want to sound like a lesser male or a female. There is nothing like having a "conversation" with a coyote/coyotes and then getting them to come to you after words. I use my howlers very little in the early season, but come late Jan., Feb., and early March, they are almost all I use. It's like an "ace in the hole" for late season calling. There are several different coyote vocalizations, the more you can master, the more action howling will bring ya. Good Luck!!