Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Howling yellow lab...

Old 02-26-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Howling yellow lab...

My son has a female yellow lab that howls at the train horns. Sometimes the train horns are pretty loud and they actually hurt my ears. I have some pretty serious ear damage from my Viet Nam days. Is it possible that these horns hurt her ears too? Our vet says no! But he's also the same vet who tried to spay our male cat.
So, whatcha think?
Her howling hurts my ears too. How do I get her to stop? That's the most important question I have.
Thanks.

critch
Old 02-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Howling yellow lab...

Since dogs have much better hearing than people, and the train whistle hurts your ears then it is a safe bet that it hurts her ears too. If it does hurt her ears then there is probably not much that you can do about it. My dog whines every time the fire company sounds it's alarm, and whenever a police car , ambulance, or firetruck goes by within a 1/4 mile of my house. Since it lasts a very short time I guess we all just have learned to live with it and he doesn't seem to have any lasting effects because of it. As far as the vet goes, maybe you should look into another one, at lest try to find one who knows the difference between spaying and neutering.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:48 PM

My Yellow Lab female howls when the emergency siren is tested every Saturday at noon. The pitch of the siren oscillates and she will point her nose in the air and howl like a wolf when the siren gets near the high end of it's wail. She dosen't appear to be in any pain and it is really quite commical to see her do this
Old 02-26-2004, 06:16 PM

The whole family has decided to find another Vet. This dog's howling in not comical. It's disrupting and disturbing and obnoxious and a whole lot of other adjectives. We have a minimum of 20 trains go by here every day, mostly at night.
I think I'll start with a new Vet first and see where it leads me. Thanks y'all.
I'll check back here periodically for more advice. Thanks in advance to the rest of you.

critch