Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Calling raccoons

Old 11-18-2003, 03:21 PM

Default Calling raccoons

I was just wondering if I am the only ' coon hunter that calls coons in instead of using dogs? Anyone else do this?
Old 11-18-2003, 03:44 PM

Default RE: Calling raccoons

I used to call coons quite a bit but I haven' t in a while. It is alot more fun than with dogs in my opinion.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:22 PM

i call racoons when we tree them with our dogs .. i call them to make them look,and sometimes make them come down the tree.and sometimes i go real late in the evenings and call a few up to me and bust them with a 22.

go deep hunt hard.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:02 PM

Sounds interesting, could someone give some tips and techniques to this.

Have only trapped and treed but would love to find a new way to enjoy the sport.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:33 AM

Bigcat, the best way to call coons is to buy the tape " Coon Puppies" or " Coon Puppies II" by Johnny Stewart (I think). Grab your flashlight, tape player, and a 22 pistol, head to a spot where you think there are coon, turn the tape on, and get ready. Sometimes they come running other times they just look at you so a scoped 22Mag might come in handy also. You can also use a " Critter Call" mouth call but they are pretty tough to get the hang of. I have had coons come up and reach around the flashlight to see what is behind it. I have also spent the whole night out calling and came up empty so get discouraged and keep trying. One time I had three coon go under the pickup trying to hide from me so I had to crawl out of the ditch and chase them out to get a shot. It is really a blast, I think I' ll go out tonight and see if I can' t call in a few. Hope this helps and good luck. Let us know if you decide to give it a try.
Bryan.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:34 PM

Bryan, I also agree that the coon puppies tape works well but the racoon fight tape also works very well. I set up near ponds, rivers, corn fields, and old barns. I have had coons come within 5 yards away of me. I have also called coons right into my yard, didn' t shoot them just did it to see if they would come. I hope this information helps, good luck!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:47 PM

We have been calling for 15 years and have had our best luck with like bryan69125 said using " Coon Puppies I II and III" We have called over 60 this year and came home with around 25 or so. The biggest one we have gotten in a long time was one of four in the same trees the same night... www.minaskaoutdoors.com/pictures.htm We have had up to 5 coons attacking our caller at the same time before.. We do all of our calling in eastern NE

www.Minaskaoutdoors.com
Old 11-26-2003, 03:52 AM

Thats a big coon, and a nice buck thanks for sharing.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:55 AM

All the coons I get are trapping. Never actually shot one. Friends have but just when checking traps or hunting something else, pickin' em off of the shores. I have tried a few times with my Johnny Stewart electronic call using a " coon fight" tape but no luck. Good luck if you decide to try it.