Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

spot lights for coyotes/ raccoons?

Old 12-25-2002, 05:54 PM

Default spot lights for coyotes/ raccoons?

i have a 1,000,000 candle power spot light that has an amber and a red lense and i have a 2,000,000 candle power spot light with a transparent lense. my question is witch spot light should i use to hunt raccoons and coyotes? and if i should use the littler one witch lense?
Old 12-25-2002, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: spot lights for coyotes/ raccoons?

well i think both of those lights are way to much but if thats all ya have then use the weeker one with the red lens.the red lens will cut the candle power down some and if you learn to use just the edge or outer rim of light on the critters they won't turn away.so you can see just how bright those realy are,have a buddy hold the light and you get around 100 yards away.have him hit your eyes with the center of the beam,you will find that it hurts to look at.those big candle power lights work good for shooting already treed coon but will spook coyote,even with the red lens on.use the very edge of the beam and it just might work out for ya.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:58 PM

When calling at nite with an e-caller, should a person keep his red light on panning the edges of the field continiously or keep cutting it on and off? I guess what i'm asking is will the 'yote see you moving the light around, or does it matter?

Just wondering....

Smack 'em where it hurts!
Old 12-26-2002, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

gabowman,movement should always be kept to a minamum but when useing lights your forced to move your head around.you can do it both ways it realy dosn't matter.the important thing is to make your moves slow and deliberate,don't be jerking your head side to side.if its realy dark out you can get away with a little more movment.when useing an e-caller at night make sure the call box is close to you,if its to far away(like with a remote)you may not see there eyes relecting becouse there attention is on the e-caller.you want both there eyes looking in your direction.