Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

which .22lr round for raccoons?

Old 04-19-2003, 06:53 PM

Default which .22lr round for raccoons?

i just bought a ruger 10/22 and was wondering what round would be the best to bag a raccoon? remington yellowjacket, remington thunderbolt, cci mini-mag, cci velocitor, or another kind that ii did not mention.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: which .22lr round for raccoons?

I used to use Yellow jackets only, but now I won' t put anything but CCI Stingers in my .22, you can hear and see the difference compared to any other .22 round. plus I find they are much cleaner than the YJ' s.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:19 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I just use whatever is on sale. If you hit them in the head they will all work fine. If you shoot them in the body you will need several shots to kill them, no matter the brand of ammo.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:44 PM

CCI Mini-mags exclusively here.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:50 PM

thanks guys... i went and picked up a box of mini-mags hp' s. when i was at fleet farm i saw hat they had bird shot ammo for .22' s do those accually work for a little bird like the starling and would they hurt my rifling?
Old 04-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

I' ve used the bird shot and couldn' t kill a sparow at 1 yard. I DO NOT recommend it at all.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:48 PM

thanks jd
Old 04-24-2003, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to use YJ' s, then I switched to whatever was cheapest when I went to buy a brick, then I got smart, nothing goes through my guns except CCI Mini-mags. I quit using YJ' s because they' re dirtier than a $2" horse" and out of every tubefull, I' d have to jack out about every third round because it would misfire, very typical of remington rimfire ammunition. With the bargain basement stuff, it' s pretty inaccurate, and a lot of misfires occur, not to mention that I' d find the slugs pressed against the skull between the eyes, mushroomed huge, with it' s four counter parts sitting beside it, maybe one would get lucky and penetrate. Took about a week to give up on that idea. Since I switched to CCI Mini' s, I' ve never found a bullet mushroomed like that, everyone has penetrated well, if not exited, even on body shots.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:14 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

The birdshot works pretty good for shooting snakes with a handgun. That is all I have used it for. The prarie rattlers hate it.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

I have had really good luck with Winchester " power points" , a 40gr. hollow point.
Very accurate in my 10/22 and definitely lethal!

Quick Reply: which .22lr round for raccoons?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.