Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Never hunted before, What to start off on? >

Never hunted before, What to start off on?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Never hunted before, What to start off on?

Old 03-12-2016, 06:07 AM
Spike

Thank you for the advice on finding someone who is willing to show me the ropes. I'll look online to see if there are any outdoor/hunting/fishing clubs in my area. I think that would be fun. I never really thought about that initially because every hobby that I've taken up I've learned how to do, as well as various techniques, through the internet. I live in an area where I don't know anyone so finding someone with similar interests has been next to impossible. I just learn by doing a lot of research beforehand, learn by trial & error, and practicing.

Boca, you are right. I probably won't save any money initially. You got me thinking about the money that I've spent on fishing so far vs how many fish I've caught. Not that I've spent a lot of money... literally I've probably only spent about $60 to 70 so far-most of that cost was for my fishing license and my fillet knife. I already had a few fishing poles that had been laying around in the garage. But true.

When you think of "the deep south", that is where I'm located. Not the southern part of any northern state. I live in a highly populated area that not only 20 years ago was nothing but cow pastures, farms, and commercial fruit groves but there are still a lot of lakes in the area. I haven't found any rivers or ponds (for frogs) yet but I know they are somewhere fairly local. Shooting squirrels in the backyard is out of the question because I live in a neighborhood... I'd love to make some squirrel stew.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Deep south where, I am in the deep south of Michigan but you can go deeper even. The bogie man hasn't knocked on my door either.

Join a sports mans club and you will meet people there who are willing to take a pup under their arm.

Lake Land Florida Watch out for all those tigers prowling that area at this time of year.

Al

Haha they are everywhere and they brought there own fans with them. It's pretty fun to go watch the games, but I have to say a large portion of the fans are fairly obnoxious in public at say restaurants and grocery store. Very different then the normal snowbirds that are starting to leave by now or maybe Baseball just brings the A-hole out of people it is the American sport after all.
At games they are actually super laid back and rarely do much heckling unlike yankee and redsox fans that I really think need medication for anger issues.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Eager Beaver
Shooting squirrels in the backyard is out of the question because I live in a neighborhood... I'd love to make some squirrel stew.
Hahaha that never stopped my son when we lived in town. I am pretty sure his BBgun was taken away by his moma more then he had it for shooting squirrels (which BTW me and him ate I love squirrel stew).

You said there are a lot of farms and such. If you are wanting to shoot squirrels asking for permission to hunt with a pellet gun is never a bad idea. Most people don't freak out over air rifles like they do a reg rifle. I got permission from a local Grove owner to shoot rats in his orange grove which turned into permission to hunt hogs in the grove when I was a teenager.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

First make sure it is legal to hunt with a pellet gun, it is not in many states. In addition, make sure to take a hunter education course and buy a license. You also need to check if you need a fishing license to take frogs, and if there is a season on them as well. You have a lot of research to do and the best place to start is with your fish and game agency
Old 03-12-2016, 07:53 AM
Spike

Yeah you are right... I need to do a lot more reading and take a hunting ed. course before I just go out with a pellet gun and start shooting squirrels. The official website for hunting & fishing is very vague... It says (for gray squirrels) "by all legal rifles, shotguns, muzzle loaders, crossbows, bows and pistols." But what exactly is a 'legal rifles'? And I'm out of season anyway, It says Nov. 14 - Mar. 6. The next one starts up Aug. 1 - 30 but is by bow only. Guess I have to wait another year.

I definitely don't need any tickets or trouble with the police. Agh... I'm kind of bummed out now but I'll be back. Thanks everyone. Take care.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rome wasn't built overnight, there is a learning curve to hunting, stick with it and learn all you can. Join a sportsman's club and associate with people who hunt and ask questions. You will get there.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Some thoughts that may or may not help. Do you have any relatives that hunt? Even if they're in the next state, they can still be a resource for learning and maybe an annual hunting trip.

I realize a lot of people are reluctant to list the state they live in but in this type of topic, it can be very helpful. We have members who live in just about every state in our country and you can often get advice from somebody in your own state (such as what is a legal hunting rifle) that shortens your learning curve. Members who live in your own state can also tell you about public hunting opportunities, game specific to your state that you maybe never thought of and other things that might be useful.

As an example, in my state (CA), it is legal to hunt turkeys with airguns. Primarily this is because so many turkeys are in urban areas where firearms and even bows might not be allowed to hunt legally (or for safety reasons) but hunting itself is still legal. Something like that may help you in your state or not.

Hopefully some of this helps you move along that hunting learning curve we're all on to some degree or another.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

What state are you in? I usually call the state I am going to hunt's wildlife office and get any questions I have about their regulations answered straight from the horses mouth when I am hunting out of state. You should probably give them a call. I will never tell someone not to get a hunters safety card, but here in FL it is only required if you are born after 1975. My brother is 31 and he just got his done last summer so he could go to KY with me and hunt.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Yes tiger and lion fans are pretty obnoxious . Can't under stand why they don't just stop waiting around for a string of championships (tiger fans) or a super bowl play off even (lion fans). They have a team in town that has been to the play offs 25 years in a row about to make it 26, won more championships than the tigers and lions combined.

We have gained so much hunting land usage rights just because of our coyote hunting usually, but some times whistle pigs. We show respect for the farmers property, closing all gates we open , leave no trash and remove carcasses from sight. Park out of the way where the farmer has told use is the best place for us to be out of their way.

With the seasons closed in my area you will run into plenty of older and young people who want to keep their shooting skills up and make use of the sporting clays course, 5 stand, skeet and trap range.

There are the rifle and pistol people who shoot at those ranges every week end too and belong to leagues, or sillowet shooting leagues. The archery range is busy also even during the deer season because of the archery leagues for indoor shooting and the field course.

Most of the people will share information if you don't go getting to pushy and just listening to them you gleam a bunch.

I would never ask to handle or shoot some ones rifle, pistol shot gun or bow. I may say that is a nice looking shot gun can you tell me about it. Some times that will lead to an offer to shot it if for example your on a clays course and shown you are a responsible person.

Our club has persons who teach fire arm safety and usage, also persons who teach archery. Normal charge is for so many rounds of ammo.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 03-13-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

I live in NW Florida and can give you some pointers for hunting in the "deep south" and a lot of other people on here good if we could know your state of residence but for starters this is how I would go about it:

Contact your fish and game to see if they can point you in the right direction for a hunters safety course. Most, if not all (I think), require you to have a hunter education

Next decide the game you want to start hunting before you go out and buy anything whether it is squirrels, deer, coyotes, etc

Next decided what weapon you want to use whether it is bow, crossbow, pistol, rifle, muzzleloader, etc

Then buy the stuff that you will need tailored to what you are hunting and what is legal. For example in Florida for deer hunting I need a climber treestand but for squirrel hunting I don't.

Then after that locate the nearest public hunting areas and again you can go on your game and fish website or give them a call.

From there figure out the seasons then scout, read a bunch of articles on the animal your are hunting and have fun.

Btw a lot of states of local forums you can get on so local guys and point you in the right direction. Like me we have Gulfcoastgunforum and pensacolafishingforum that both have a hunting section.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 03-13-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.