HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Never hunted before, What to start off on?
Old 03-12-2016, 06:07 AM
Eager Beaver
Spike

Thank you for the advice on finding someone who is willing to show me the ropes. I'll look online to see if there are any outdoor/hunting/fishing clubs in my area. I think that would be fun. I never really thought about that initially because every hobby that I've taken up I've learned how to do, as well as various techniques, through the internet. I live in an area where I don't know anyone so finding someone with similar interests has been next to impossible. I just learn by doing a lot of research beforehand, learn by trial & error, and practicing.

Boca, you are right. I probably won't save any money initially. You got me thinking about the money that I've spent on fishing so far vs how many fish I've caught. Not that I've spent a lot of money... literally I've probably only spent about $60 to 70 so far-most of that cost was for my fishing license and my fillet knife. I already had a few fishing poles that had been laying around in the garage. But true.

When you think of "the deep south", that is where I'm located. Not the southern part of any northern state. I live in a highly populated area that not only 20 years ago was nothing but cow pastures, farms, and commercial fruit groves but there are still a lot of lakes in the area. I haven't found any rivers or ponds (for frogs) yet but I know they are somewhere fairly local. Shooting squirrels in the backyard is out of the question because I live in a neighborhood... I'd love to make some squirrel stew.