HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Never hunted before, What to start off on?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:32 PM
Brandon_SPC
Fork Horn

I live in NW Florida and can give you some pointers for hunting in the "deep south" and a lot of other people on here good if we could know your state of residence but for starters this is how I would go about it:

Contact your fish and game to see if they can point you in the right direction for a hunters safety course. Most, if not all (I think), require you to have a hunter education

Next decide the game you want to start hunting before you go out and buy anything whether it is squirrels, deer, coyotes, etc

Next decided what weapon you want to use whether it is bow, crossbow, pistol, rifle, muzzleloader, etc

Then buy the stuff that you will need tailored to what you are hunting and what is legal. For example in Florida for deer hunting I need a climber treestand but for squirrel hunting I don't.

Then after that locate the nearest public hunting areas and again you can go on your game and fish website or give them a call.

From there figure out the seasons then scout, read a bunch of articles on the animal your are hunting and have fun.

Btw a lot of states of local forums you can get on so local guys and point you in the right direction. Like me we have Gulfcoastgunforum and pensacolafishingforum that both have a hunting section.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 03-13-2016 at 01:39 PM.