Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 ** .22 Mag Accuracy...my Fox rig is ready! ** (Pic) >

** .22 Mag Accuracy...my Fox rig is ready! ** (Pic)

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

** .22 Mag Accuracy...my Fox rig is ready! ** (Pic)

Old 10-13-2003, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default ** .22 Mag Accuracy...my Fox rig is ready! ** (Pic)

Seventeen Schmeventeen!.........I' ve been hearing for a little while , (and confirmed by my recent post about the .22 WMR VS. .17 HMR) that the reason most people are flocking to the .17 HMR is accuracy. That the .22 WMR is just not an inherently accurate round?
I wanted the extra punch for calling Red Fox so I decided in favor of the .22 WMR and I set out to find an accurate round for my Ruger 77/22 Varmint.........well it didn' t take too long![8D]

First (and only) set of ammo I tried this evening was the hot Remington " Premier" w/ the 33 gr Hornady Vmax ballistic tip bullet.
Ruger 77/22 WMR topped w/ a Bushnell " Trophy" 4-12X40

Here are the results of tonights shooting.....this picture is of the last 6 shot group from 100yards. This group was shot using the Harris Bi-Pod you see in the picture, just to see what I could do with it as this is how I will be hunting.
I' d have to say it' s ready to make some fur wouldn' t you guys!?

This group measures in at a hair under 13/16" or a bit over 3/4" .

I don' t know if this type of accuracy is the exception to the rule? this is my first .22 WMR but I couldn' t be happier with these results.
At 50 yards it was cutting dime size holes .
What a great shooting combo! Its almost scary to think what this gun might do once I have the trigger touched up a bit.......its tolerable, but a bit stiff and thankfully no creep.

I can' t wait for Fox season to start and for that first big Red staring at me from about 75 yards away!
Sorry just had to share one of those " Happy Moments" at the range that we have from time to time. ( I put this same post in the " Guns" forum but thought my fellow " Critter Getters" would appreciate it too)

Old 10-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ** .22 Mag Accuracy...my Fox rig is ready! ** (Pic)

Now see, a 17 hummer would be 1 ragged hole That is some fine shooting i must say and i think any fox should be worried. Glad you like your new tool and looks like it will serve you well. [8D]
Old 10-14-2003, 04:22 PM

Wow! nice shootin![8D]
Old 10-15-2003, 09:30 AM

Default MAtt/PA

Matt/PA;
I have only one thing to say about that gun, and the grouping of your shots.

Those fox can only say " GOODNIGHT GRACEY"

Great looking gun, and great groupings. Those fox haven' t got a chance.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:05 AM

I shoot a Marlin 22 mag with either Remington or Federal ammo. Last weekend I fired six shots at squirrels, from 25 to 100 yards. Six squirrels went in the bag. I honestly believe the 22 Mag is a better gun than the 17, it packs a lot more punch.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both of these rounds are great but for squirell I tend to go with the .22 WMR, in my case from a Winchester 9422. My Brother brought his .17 down last year and although it is very accurate, if you pull your shot a bit and make a hit on the shoulder, you will lose half of the Squirell. I use CCI Maxi-Mag solids for my Squirrell load and am very happy with both the accuracy and the performance of the round. If I do pull a shot and hit the body instead of the head, all I have is a neat little hole instead of mince meat. Same with a Coyote I hit at about 70 yds earlier this fall, I hit him in the neck and the exit wound was no larger than a dime.
Nothing wrong with that.17 round at all, you just have to be extra careful not to watse any meat.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:21 AM

goooood shooting,fox lookout.
I like the looks of the gun also.[:-]