Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

pelts?

Old 10-23-2003, 11:13 PM
pup

Default pelts?

ok so when poeple skin coyotes and stuff? i think i know how to skin them. but what do they put on them to cure them?
i ahev just always used salt on like turkey fans and stuff but what is the corect thing to use and how do you make them so they arent stiff as a board? sorry for all the questions but i am new to this.[&:] and thanks for all the help so far
Old 10-24-2003, 01:32 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pelts?

Do a google search on the internet about hide tanning you will come up with all sorts of information. I have had good luck with commercial tanning liquids on muskrat and mink hides. I haven' t had near as good of luck with the larger animals, coyotes, beaver etc. If you just want one for yourself you are best off sending it off to be professionally done. It is not real expensive and they do a garmet style tan. I use usafoxx, they are on the net.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: pelts?

Hey pup, after you skin the coyote (cased) put it on the correct size stretcher, with a knife remove all fat-blood clots. Keep in room-temp. air with a fan for circulation. Turn fur side out before to dry, or you will tear the hide. Ready for sale.