Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ** .22 Mag Accuracy...the fox slayer is ready! (pic)** >

** .22 Mag Accuracy...the fox slayer is ready! (pic)**

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

** .22 Mag Accuracy...the fox slayer is ready! (pic)**

Old 10-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default ** .22 Mag Accuracy...the fox slayer is ready! (pic)**

Seventeen Schmeventeen!.........I' ve been hearing for a little while , (and confirmed by my recent post about the .22 WMR VS. .17 HMR) that the reason most people are flocking to the .17 HMR is accuracy. That the .22 WMR is just not an inherently accurate round?
I wanted the extra punch for calling Red Fox so I decided in favor of the .22 WMR and I set out to find an accurate round for my Ruger 77/22 Varmint.........well it didn' t take too long![8D]

First (and only) set of ammo I tried this evening was the hot Remington " Premier" w/ the 33 gr Hornady Vmax ballistic tip bullet.
Ruger 77/22 WMR topped w/ a Bushnell " Trophy" 4-12X40

Here are the results of tonights shooting.....this picture is of the last 6 shot group from 100yards. This group was shot using the Harris Bi-Pod you see in the picture, just to see what I could do with it as this is how I will be hunting.
I' d have to say it' s ready to make some fur wouldn' t you guys!?

This group measures in at a hair under 13/16" or a bit over 3/4" .

I don' t know if this type of accuracy is the exception to the rule? this is my first .22 WMR but I couldn' t be happier with these results.
At 50 yards it was cutting dime size holes .
What a great shooting combo! Its almost scary to think what this gun might do once I have the trigger touched up a bit.......its tolerable, but a bit stiff and thankfully no creep.

I can' t wait for Fox season to start and for that first big red staring at me from 75 yards away!
Sorry just had to share one of those " Happy Moments" at the range that we have from time to time.

Old 10-13-2003, 07:37 PM

Default RE: ** .22 Mag Accuracy...the fox slayer is ready! (pic)**

How much do you have into that rig? I need something to get a girl who has never done alot of shooting, wants something with little recoil, that is accurate as hell. Thanks man, and thats a hell of a group.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

BigBore1895.......for the quality of the set-up what I paid is pretty much criminal.
[]
Ruger 77/22 Varmint I got like new with less than 1 box thru it from Gunsamerica.com = $285 ($305 shipped)
Bushnell " Trophy" 4-12X40 matte scope I got new on Ebay = $105.75
Bipod paid full price = $60.00

So that' s a grand total of $470.75!! for the whole shootin' match.
For me to buy over the counter this whole set-up would have cost me about $765.00!!
Retail is well over $800.

Savage makes some nice affordable yet accurate Bolt action rifles which would be a good option, I' m just sort of partial to Ruger and have very good luck with every one that I have owned.

Thanks, I think I did pretty good.[:-]
Old 10-13-2003, 08:46 PM

Thats pretty swell, I am jealous! I am not that big a fan of the seventeen either, but to each his own i reckon. Those three in the middle of that target must measure around 1/3-1/2 inch no?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now see, a 17 hummer would be 1 ragged hole That is some fine shooting i must say and i think any fox should be worried. Glad you like your new tool and looks like it will serve you well.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .22 mag I had didn' t shoot that good at 25 yards. (Marlin bolt) I also never had the hornady V-Max however..
Old 10-14-2003, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt,
I didn' t know you fox hunted as well. I have a marlin 882ssv topped with a bushnell elite 3-9. Shoots those rem premiers just as well as yours does. Good luck this season.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Impressive Matt, way to go!!! I was thinking of getting the very same gun but in the .17 caliber!!
Old 10-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well even though its not a 17 hummer it shoots excellent and the gun is purdy, [8D]
Old 10-14-2003, 10:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

That one shoots about like the old 640 Chuckster I had in 22 Mag. I often shot 1/2 inch groups with that one.

Quick Reply: ** .22 Mag Accuracy...the fox slayer is ready! (pic)**

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.