Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
CT hunting help! Why is CT a BS state? >

CT hunting help! Why is CT a BS state?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

CT hunting help! Why is CT a BS state?

Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Spike

Default CT hunting help! Why is CT a BS state?

I am getting tired of the DEP website and I find that their requirements to get a hunting license are obsurd and worthless. Why should I need to pay to take a course to learn what I already know? Same thing with the NRA course needed to obtain a pistol permit. $150.00? No wonder there are so many criminals in CT. CT doesn't make anything easy for those who want to do the LEGAL thing.

Ok well, I aquired 20 acres of land which I own with a friend. So far we noticed dozens of different animals from deer and yotes to turkey and many critters.
I don't intend on hunting/tracking anything other that Yotes and other furry critters and predators. No Deer or migratory birds or turkey.

Here are my questions.
Do I need a hunting license to hunt on my own private property?
If I intend to sell the furs from any game I shoot, do I need tags or anything?
What are the legal issues/what legal trouble could I experience, IF any, if I hunt on my own property and take game?

Why does CT hate hunters and firearm owners so much??
Permit courses are urealisticly expensive and most of the needed courses are no where near ANY hunting areas! Why on earth would you host the hunting & trapping course in a city 2+ hours away from any hunting areas?!

As much as I prefer to do the legal thing and abide by the regulations and laws, its rediculous how stupid and straining the process in CT is. I think all the yupps in Hartford think everyone is stupid and lacks common sense. Honestly, wtf? you don't to take a 3 day course to get a fishing license, but you need the course for hunting? I have lived in CT for 99% of my life, and have YET to hear about ANY hunting related crimes. BUT, I have seen people take 50+ snapper Bluefish from LIS, when the limit is 10. I have seen this happen almost every time I hit the beaches. I think its great to see a family of 10 eating toxic fish every day. Get sick, die and stop destroying outdoor recreation because you have your whole illegal family in your Chevy van and only 2 of you work.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Um... kind of went off on a tangent there, eh?

I would say, buck up and take the course. Once it's done, it's done... I assume you don't have to do it again. If you don't follow the laws in your state (as ridiculous as they may seem), then you're really no better than the people you're complaining about.

My .02 on that.

However, there may be some kind of stipulation for clearing land you own of predators, but I'm not sure. I think the best place to start would be to contact your local DEP agent.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel your pain, and I agree that it's not really fair to charge such high prices for REQUIRED training, but that's what it costs.

As far as requiring training, however, I can't offer you any degree of consolation. I've been an NRA certified handgun instructor for over a decade, and have off and on during that time taught basic handgun classes, offered private instruction, competitive edge instruction, etc. I'm working now on getting established as a CCW instructor, and I've been an assisting instructor for several hunter's safety courses that we offer at one of the local hunting clubs for the last couple years. Not trying to brag AT ALL by saying that, but rather trying to illustrate the amount of exposure I've had to new shooters and hunters.

Kansas, where I live, does not require any handgun training, nor any permit to purchase a handgun. My state believes in the rights of its citizens. We DO require the mandatory CCW courses to receive a concealed carry license, which is a VERY low level instruction course, and mostly focuses on the legal aspects of carrying, and how to properly conceal your weapon.

HOWEVER, I do believe that handgun owners, especially those that carry concealed for personal defense, need to take it upon themselves to seek out instruction/training to be able to ACTUALLY weild their weapon properly. The general experience base, and aptitude with a weapon of the average concealed carry license holder is, in my opinion, very low. Do you consider it safe that an inexperienced 15yr old driver could get behind the wheel of an 18wheeler and drive 80,000lbs down the interstate at 75mph? Neither do I. That's why we require performance evaluation testing to prove out that CDL drivers are capable of handling their rig before they receive their licenses. Do I think it's safe that my 60yr old mother-in-law and her bridge group all have CCW permits and started packing .38spcls around in their purses without any real training? Nope. Did I take the time out of my life to offer and give them instruction on how to safely handle, draw, and defensively fire their weapon? Yup.

As firearm owners, it's on us to know how to properly handle our weapons. Do I think that the state should require a $150 class to prove it? No. Do I think that there should be fairly rigorous testing done (similar to a CDL, motorcycle license, or ANY drivers test)? Yup. If you don't pass the test, then should an option to practice and improve be a $150 class? Yup.

All in all, I think MOST handgun owners should be more familiar with the safe operation, and safe defensive application of their weapon. CT, in my opinion, is probably better off for requiring training and testing. Is it a crime that they charge $150? Sure. Do you benefit from that money you're spending? I'm sure you are.

As far as taking a class to "learn what you already know" about hunting and firearms safety, look at it this way: since you already know it all, you aren't paying to take a class to learn anything, you're paying to take a test to prove that you know it.

I promise you will waste far more time and money on hunting in your future than whatever that class takes.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 02-06-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

Are you sure that you know? Are you sure that you know how to properly maintain or shoot a gun without being a liability to others around you? Just because you grew up around guns doesnt make you an expert. Id feel much better if everyone took the handgun course, id rather not have people running around with handguns that have no idea what they are doing, atleast they have gotten some kind of entry course.

Id also definitely follow the regulations and laws, a couple of fish are not worth the fines you could get.

If it helps, you can hunt moose in CT which many other states you can't.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Chopayne
Are you sure that you know? Are you sure that you know how to properly maintain or shoot a gun without being a liability to others around you? Just because you grew up around guns doesnt make you an expert. Id feel much better if everyone took the handgun course, id rather not have people running around with handguns that have no idea what they are doing, atleast they have gotten some kind of entry course.

Id also definitely follow the regulations and laws, a couple of fish are not worth the fines you could get.

If it helps, you can hunt moose in CT which many other states you can't.
Actually you can not hunt moose in connecticut. While there is a small population, there is currently no moose season here.

To the OP, there are instructors that charge less than $150.00 for a basic pistol class. I have been an instructor for 20 plus years and have never charged more than $60.00, yet anyway. With ammo getting more expensive and in short supply I may have an issue soon. NRA training materials run about 14 dollars per student alone. Throw in the instructors time preparing the course, securing a location that is gun friendly (about a 10 hour day) and gas getting to the class and the range and it's not like we are gouging anyone.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by silverguns6890
Here are my questions.
Do I need a hunting license to hunt on my own private property?
If I intend to sell the furs from any game I shoot, do I need tags or anything?
What are the legal issues/what legal trouble could I experience, IF any, if I hunt on my own property and take game?
With little doubt you will need a hunting license to hunt your property. If it makes you feel any better, being required to buy a license to hunt on your 20acres, where animals would be transitory, not local their entire lives, makes much more sense than being required to buy a license to hunt on the 17,000 acres my family and I own (legally defined in KS as "own land").

I haven't seen any requirement that a fur harvesters license is required to sell hides. Only that all hides intended for sale must be tagged at no charge by a dep representative during one of the tagging dates, or at one of a few select dep offices.

Legal repercussions for violating hunting laws can be incredibly stiff, as many violations are lumped together, the recourse for killing a rabbit without a license may likely be the same as killing a deer unlicensed.

Buck up buddy, you had the money to buy a gun or bow, you had the money to buy the land, spend the money to hunt legally.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Oh man, I mustve been thinking of a differnet NE state like VT. Well
Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

Do I need a hunting license to hunt on my own private property? yes
If I intend to sell the furs from any game I shoot, do I need tags or anything? coyote and fox must be tagged, but they can be harvested during season with small game license.
What are the legal issues/what legal trouble could I experience, IF any, if I hunt on my own property and take game? Fines, loss of hunting priveleges, confiscation of any equipment used during the poaching, up to and including your vehicle.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Please see my answers in bold Blue below.

Originally Posted by silverguns6890
Why does CT hate hunters and firearm owners so much?? The vast majority of residents live in populated area and never grew up with the sport.
Permit courses are urealisticly expensive and most of the needed courses are no where near ANY hunting areas! Why on earth would you host the hunting & trapping course in a city 2+ hours away from any hunting areas?! If you find a cheaper class then take it. I use to give classes and did not make much after all my expenses, I made much more working my normal job.
The class are in an area where most people don't have to travel to far (population centers). .

As much as I prefer to do the legal thing and abide by the regulations and laws, its rediculous how stupid and straining the process in CT is. I think all the yupps in Hartford think everyone is stupid and lacks common sense. Honestly, wtf? you don't to take a 3 day course to get a fishing license, but you need the course for hunting? I have lived in CT for 99% of my life, and have YET to hear about ANY hunting related crimes. BUT, I have seen people take 50+ snapper Bluefish from LIS, when the limit is 10. I have seen this happen almost every time I hit the beaches. I think its great to see a family of 10 eating toxic fish every day. Get sick, die and stop destroying outdoor recreation because you have your whole illegal family in your Chevy van and only 2 of you work.Hard to answer ramblings.....
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

I think he hopped on just to rant. He hasnt been on for 6 days.