Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote hunting

Old 07-09-2003, 12:15 PM

Default coyote hunting

I am fairly new to the sport of hunting, but I' m really interesting in coyote hunting. My problem is that I haven' t been able to call any in yet. I have been hunting for coyotes about ten times now, and have seen nothing. I know coyotes are there because I have heard them. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?
Old 07-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: coyote hunting

Well first off welcome to not only the world of hunting but also to the huntingnet I haven' t gone coyote hunting but there is plently around here so i am just guessing on these tips. There is a remote ' rabbit in distress' device. Its hard to explain but sure you can look it up on here or something. Its makes a noise that of an hurt rabbit and is supposed to get predators attention. there is also calls and scents if i recall correctly. You did good by coming in and asking around, you' ll get some good tips. I will read up as well because i woudln' t mind getting an coyote or two with my self with a bow (just bought one the other day)
Old 07-11-2003, 06:29 PM

Default hunting coyotes

Jared;

First a couple of questions. 1. what kind of calls are you using? 2. Are you completely camoed, 3. What times are you hunting.

Ok now, How much noise are you making going to the area your hunting. Remember your the predator now, and you have to out smart the coyotes. One of the biggest problems I see most beginners doing is moving around way too much. A coyote will spot any unnatural movement and high-tail it out of the county before you even know he was there. Always make sure your hunting with the wind in your face. And never outline yourself, always have something to break up your outline. By this I mean sit behind a tree thats bigger than your shoulders, never sit in the open.
When your calling keep the volume down, if your using a E-caller, it' s not a boom box. A lot of animals are scared away because too many people use too much volume. I' ve called in a lot of predator by just using a squeaker, or making kissing sounds with my lips. I mess with the neighbors dog all the time when I' m in the kitchen. When it' s way in there back yard, I make a few kissing sounds, and you should see how fast it come' s in running to investagate the sound. Try it someday, when you see a cat or dog outside go to the window and make the sounds. Ears will pop up and look directly at you. You' d be surprized how far an animal will hear this sound.

Also remember when using a mouth call, you don' t have to blow it until your blue in the face. Take a rabbit for example, it' s lungs are about as big as your thumb. So it' s lung capacity isn' t what yours is. Blow the call for around 30 to 40 seconds, then wait for a few minutes before you start again.

When you enter the woods or the area your hunting, sit there for a few minutes before you start your calling. Let the area or woods get use to your presents. If after around 30 to 40 minutes nothing happens then move to another area. And try to hunt with the sun to your back.

Scout the areas your going to hunt, investagate what the coyote' s are mainly feeding on. Ask other hunters what their using for calls. If their all using rabbits in distress calls. Try something different. Go with a turkey in distress, a fawn in distress,or even a pup in distress call. Try howling, a prodominate male doesn' t like another dog in his area. And a lot of times he' ll come a running. Also when your scouting try a siren, coyote for some reason will start howling to a siren. It' s a good way to locate them.

Pracitce with your gun, make sure to know the limitations of it. A lot of coyotes are educated real fast because of missing an easy shot. But all in all the most important part of all of this is DON' T MOVE AROUND.

Good luck hunting coyotes, and remember. Hunting coyotes is worst than drugs. Because when you pop that first one you' ll be addicted for life.

Old 07-11-2003, 07:11 PM

Default coyote hunting

Jared;
I forgot to mention that hunting with some sort of decoy will also help you out a lot. I have had good luck with the decoy heart.. It helps taking the coyotes attention off of your presents.

Again good luck!

Coyote Caller
Old 07-11-2003, 10:22 PM

I tell you one way we do it here in western n.y. is with hounds, what a blast,
we use walkers, redbone, bluetick, plots, and we get them, some chasses go for
miles, but I also have had a hard time by myself calling them in, these buggers
are smart, did kill 2 from stand while deer hunting, one with the shotgun, and
one with the bow, but that was not planned,, one method I heard from a friend
was to follow a cow that ready to calf or freshen and stay way down wind, they
will keep close watch of her waiting to take the calf, very afective, also guys told
me they spot light them at night, it' s legal here in n.y. and use a red lens cover
over the light, it supposed to pullthem right in?/ but at night you can only hunt
with a 22 mag,, Every year after I cut up deer during season, I throw all the parts
on a big pile about 500yards behind the house, you think i could kill one of those
bugger' s NO[:@]
Old 07-11-2003, 10:48 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

read all about it here...

http://lewand.tripod.com/barkmoon.html
Old 07-19-2003, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

coyote caller has some good advice for ya.one thing a new predator hunter needs to relize is,the moment you blow on a ditress call(or run a e-caller)you instanly go from being the hunter to being the hunted.most people don' t relize this and make to many mistakes.the instant a predator hears a distressed animal(real or not)he looking,smelling and listening real hard for the source of that sound.think about it,his very surrvival depends on finding that distressed aniaml.to be sucsessfull at predator hunting you must master the art of steath hunting,minamal movement,always being aware of the wind and being aware of where its carrying your scent. and all the other things coyote caller mentioned.it has been said that a coyote can hear a mouse at 500 yards under a foot of snow.i personaly believe this to be some what of an accurate statement.i have seen them pick up on some very soft muted sounds at incredable yardages.a coyote has incredable eye sight,a sence of smell that can disern many scents at one time and an unreal set of ears.always remember this when approching,sitting and leaving your stands sets.give coyote hunting a chance,don' t get frustrated and give up.many if not all new coyote hunters experience the same thing you are.give it time and it will begin to fall into place.once it does you will be hooked for life,best of luck and shoot straight.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:23 PM

i use the electronic calls. this allows me to be away from where the sound comes from. very good advice on camo and staying still. along with the electronic caller i use a decoy.it is battery operated. it looks like a coon skin cap and the tail flops around.i have had the yotes attack the think.
also move around. never stay too long in one place.i am no expert but have had luck. best day was 4 yotes. had twice that amount in missed shots. buck fever on yotes