HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - coyote hunting
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2003, 06:29 PM
coyote caller

Default hunting coyotes

Jared;

First a couple of questions. 1. what kind of calls are you using? 2. Are you completely camoed, 3. What times are you hunting.

Ok now, How much noise are you making going to the area your hunting. Remember your the predator now, and you have to out smart the coyotes. One of the biggest problems I see most beginners doing is moving around way too much. A coyote will spot any unnatural movement and high-tail it out of the county before you even know he was there. Always make sure your hunting with the wind in your face. And never outline yourself, always have something to break up your outline. By this I mean sit behind a tree thats bigger than your shoulders, never sit in the open.
When your calling keep the volume down, if your using a E-caller, it' s not a boom box. A lot of animals are scared away because too many people use too much volume. I' ve called in a lot of predator by just using a squeaker, or making kissing sounds with my lips. I mess with the neighbors dog all the time when I' m in the kitchen. When it' s way in there back yard, I make a few kissing sounds, and you should see how fast it come' s in running to investagate the sound. Try it someday, when you see a cat or dog outside go to the window and make the sounds. Ears will pop up and look directly at you. You' d be surprized how far an animal will hear this sound.

Also remember when using a mouth call, you don' t have to blow it until your blue in the face. Take a rabbit for example, it' s lungs are about as big as your thumb. So it' s lung capacity isn' t what yours is. Blow the call for around 30 to 40 seconds, then wait for a few minutes before you start again.

When you enter the woods or the area your hunting, sit there for a few minutes before you start your calling. Let the area or woods get use to your presents. If after around 30 to 40 minutes nothing happens then move to another area. And try to hunt with the sun to your back.

Scout the areas your going to hunt, investagate what the coyote' s are mainly feeding on. Ask other hunters what their using for calls. If their all using rabbits in distress calls. Try something different. Go with a turkey in distress, a fawn in distress,or even a pup in distress call. Try howling, a prodominate male doesn' t like another dog in his area. And a lot of times he' ll come a running. Also when your scouting try a siren, coyote for some reason will start howling to a siren. It' s a good way to locate them.

Pracitce with your gun, make sure to know the limitations of it. A lot of coyotes are educated real fast because of missing an easy shot. But all in all the most important part of all of this is DON' T MOVE AROUND.

Good luck hunting coyotes, and remember. Hunting coyotes is worst than drugs. Because when you pop that first one you' ll be addicted for life.