Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
ancient predator call. Primitive style. >

ancient predator call. Primitive style.

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

ancient predator call. Primitive style.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:30 AM
Spike

Default ancient predator call. Primitive style.

Hello folks.
I have tried to post information of this very old type of predator call handed down by generations that I put up on youtube but I have problems adding the link. The call is very easy made an is also very easy to use. It has a wide range of tunes making many kinds of distress calls from rabbits, mice and birds. I havent tested it but I was hoping for someone to make one and test it this season. For a very good description for use and making, search youtube for:
stone age predator call Then you will find it. Please let me know what you think or if you have seen anything like it. Im posting info about the call so that it wont disappear from the old world of hunting. Happy hunting!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a relic idea for sure. Would it work, sure. But as with the steel wheel, better materials have made the calls evolve over time into smaller, lighter, more weather resistant, and more user freindly calls and a call like that belongs in a museum, UNLESS someone just wants to be on thier loin cloth, pull out the old recurve with stone arrow head, stick a feather in his hat, and go try to call the "old style" way.
A person could use a blade of grass stretched between your fingers and make sounds well enough to call a predator too, but there are better ways.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Spike

Johnson grass between two thumbs would prob work just a good
Old 09-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Spike

Sure you can use the grass between your thumb method, but you will never know what it sounds like before you tried with that grass. Those who have tried that knows that problem. With this call you can tune it and it stays like that. You cant do that with a piece of grass. The grass will also tear apart after a few blows. You can even make two or more overpieces with different tunings in this one, and it will still be lighter than most modern calls for predators. Why was this call invented? Because the grass between your thumbs are better?
And yes, as the decription says it is a primitive style call for those who like it that way. If you tried it before placing a comment, then you will understand. Also, made out of bone, or laquered wood (as many modern calls are) and plastic for a reed, it lasts at least our lifetime. Wheather doesnt effect it, but it sure does to many modern calls. Saliva freezes in them.
This one can easily be made entirely out of plastic also. Maybe its not popular with a good call that can be tuned in many ways, and that anyone can make on their own..?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm confused. You say, "The call is very easy made an is also very easy to use", and then you say, "I havent tested it but I was hoping for someone to make one and test it this season." And then you say, "Wheather doesnt effect it, but it sure does to many modern calls."

IF you've not tested it, never made one, and never used one, How do you know how easy it is to make, how easy it is to use, and what sounds it makes, and how do you know that the weather doesn't affect it?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Spike

Howler.
Of course I have tested them. The SOUND! I made the two ones pictured on youtube! Read the description. I have watched hundreds of calling videos and all Im saying is that it works. It sounds like a distress call, and it can be tuned. Ive tested it. Its not meant to outmatch every call on the market? People hunt with primitive bows an muzzleloaders even if modern rifles exsists, right? Have you tried to make one? How do you know it doesnt work by just looking at a picture? When I mean test it, I mean on regular hunting really trying to see if it actually can attract coyote, bobcat, fox or anything else. Many hunters can test it better than just one. Where I live its not much else to call in but red fox. We have big arctic lynx but the hunting is very limited. Marten.. ever called in one? Eight wolves in my country. If you dont want to kill the neighbours cat.. I have tried to use other calls but people who have tried fox calling with modern calls claim that it takes time to nail a fox. I havent dedicated myself to calling, thats why I wondered if somebody who does wanted to have a go. The the red fox population isnt that big here. It much easyier to lure them in with bait and shoot them during full moon in the winther. That I have done for nearly 30 years. I have shot many, and also trapped many. I thought it might be fun to try out this call to see how old style calls work for some people. Maybe not. How much effect can it have from wheather? Warping? Make it from plastic then. Bone doesent warp much either and if propely sealed wood doesent either. When blowing this call the air passes the reed sideways between two only 4mm thick pieces of wood. Many modern ones one blows at the end of the long reed and they are often stuck between the long lips of the call in cold wheather. You have already made it fail simply by saying to yourself that it doesent work before trying it. If you doesent like this call, OK. I put it out as a old piece of hunting culture just like a longbow. Some like longbow, some prefer a hightec sniperrifle.
The bow was invented thousands of years ago, would it be good if nobody was interested in the bow even if better guns does exist?
I just wanted to find out if sombody maybe liked the idea to test out some old style hunting gear. And yess, there probably are a lot of better calls out there and a lot of ****tier ones too..
Old 09-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Spike

Howler.
I think you have missed some parts of the description.
Of course I have tested it. The sound! I made the two ones you can see on youtube! Read the description. I mean I havent tested it on predators. Where I live there is not much else than red fox to test it on. Coyotes and bobcats does not live her. Big arctic lynx live her but they are few and strictly regulated, same with wolf or wolverine. Then it is martens or mink. I have killed many fox, both by hunting and trapping, its much easyer. Feeding fox two times a week during winther gives chances for a shot at night when the moon lights up the snow. Trapping them in grell traps is also much easyer than calling in a fox. Calling in the fox takes practice and time. For those who have that, some might find it fun to test an old style call. However, the whole idea with posting info on this old type of call isnt to outmatch every call on the market, it is to make it available to those who like calling and the primitive (as the description says) way of hunting, and just for everyone interested to be able to use an old style call that is easy made and used. Easy used means it is easy to make a common distress sound as with many other calls. Easy called in predators is why you must test it...? Have you made one and tested it? Or have you drawn a test conclusion by just stydying the pictures? Nice test. The info on it is also made because I hope it will be discovered by those who did not know such a call existed. Maybe it can be improved? Cold weather does effect calls with long reeds that you blow on the end of the reed, not like this one that you blow across the reed. The airflow passes between only 4 mm wide wood on this one not like those with long lips around the reed. This I have tried myself on other calls also a crow call. What are your concerns due to the weather affects? Warping in rain? Make it from plastic then, or seal a wooded version properly with laquer. Most modern wooden calls are laquered. Bone warping? It takes a second to adjust it if it should occur. I dipped mine in water and tested it. It works. Having a positive approach to the call also helps. And yes, there may be better calls to be found, but there sure are calls that are less good too. Among modern calls.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Spike

Where on eart does my posts go?? I replied twice but they dont show up on the tread. Well, I made the calls myself, tested the sound in them and dipped it in wather. It works.