Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Idaho Wolf Hunt

Old 09-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Idaho Wolf Hunt

anybody fill or know anybody who filled their idaho wolf tag yet? i know its the first day but heres hoping somebody had some luck.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Use one of them John Wayne/ Fonda era Gattlins and make emm all disfunctional
Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Angry Wolf Hunting

I did not know there was a wolf hunt in Idaho this season. Wolves are good, but from what I have heard, are way out of control. Thanks for informing, and sorry i posted without knowing the true extent. =[

Last edited by BigBuck95; 09-02-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

if you like the wolves so much you are more than welcome to take ours! im sure they can help your deer herds the same way.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by caselesss5
if you like the wolves so much you are more than welcome to take ours! im sure they can help your deer herds the same way.
HAHA thanks!
Though that would be the coolest thing since ice, the deer population here may be too small to help, although it would be really nice to have coast to coast wolf populations
Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Spike

It's funny on how every one that favors wolfs lives else where. You want to see how they control elk herds come on over because there about to be gone. I live here in Idaho and have seen first hand on what they can do. If they were in your state I'm sure your thoughts would be different.

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
I did not know that there was a wolf hunt in the state of Idaho this year. Personally, I disagree with wolf hunting. Isn't that how we got rid of them? WOLVES ARE GOOD!!! They keep the grazing animal populations like elk under control. Plus, one of the things that elk eat are aspen tree shoots when the plant is young. Since the introduction of wolves in Yellowstones Lamar valley, the aspen population has been reborn. Wolves equal a more healthy and more clean ecological environment. What wolves have done for Yellowstone, they will undoubtedly do for Idaho.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, season started today and the first one has been bagged...

http://www.missoulian.com/news/local...cc4c03286.html

BOISE, Idaho - Gray wolves were back in hunters' crosshairs Tuesday, just months after they were removed from the federal endangered species list and eight decades since being hunted to extinction across the Northern Rockies.
Hunters in Idaho began stalking gray wolves in a handful of districts in the central and northern mountains. Shortly after dawn, an Idaho real estate agent became the first to report a kill.
Robert Millage of the lumber town of Kamiah bagged an adult female from 25 yards away in the mountains near the Lochsa River, state officials said.
"I just wanted to beat my buddies to the punch, but I didn't know I'd beaten everybody in the state," said Millage, 34, who has hunted in Idaho for 22 years. "It was really an adrenaline rush to have those wolves all around me, howling and milling about after I fired the shot."
It remained unclear, however, just how much longer hunters would have to thin the wolf population in Idaho and Montana, which is scheduled to open its season in two weeks.
U.S. District Judge Donald Molloy of Missoula is expected to rule soon on a request by environmental groups to stop the hunts in both states.
"The human population successfully eradicated wolves from this region in the early part of the 20th century, and it would be a true shame after all the efforts that went into recovery if that happened again," said Jenny Harbine, an attorney for Earthjustice, a plaintiff in the case.
An estimated 1,650 of the animals now live in the Northern Rockies, following a controversial reintroduction program that started in 1995.
Idaho set a quota of 220 wolves for this hunting season as part of its plan for managing the wolf population. The quota is 75 in Montana.
Idaho officials say they have no idea how many hunters headed into the woods Tuesday to track the predators. State rules require hunters to notify game officials within 24 hours of a wolf kill and present the skull and pelt to wardens within five days.
So far, Idaho has sold more than 10,700 wolf permits, mostly to hunters who will head to the backcountry next month when elk and deer season begins. Hunters in Montana snatched up more than 2,600 tags on Monday, the first day of sales for the upcoming hunt.
The wolves were removed from the endangered species list in Idaho and Montana just four months ago. The environmental groups fear there aren't enough state protections in place to maintain their comeback.
The creatures were once abundant across North America, but by the 1930s had been largely exterminated outside Alaska and Canada.
About 300 wolves in Wyoming are still under federal protection because the government has not approved the state's management plan.
Last year, about a dozen wolves were killed in Wyoming during a brief period when the state management plan declared wolves wandering outside established recovery zones could be shot and killed on sight. That policy was later scrapped by a federal judge.
Idaho officials and hunting guides say the opening weeks of the season are likely to be slow.
Outfitters said they are not booking trips for hunters exclusively looking to bag a wolf. But guides are encouraging clients to buy wolf tags to have handy when tracking deer and elk later this fall.
"Any success we have with wolves will be more of a happenstance sort of thing," said Richard Huff, a guide for Silver Spur Outfitters and Lodge near Grangeville.
Wolves are difficult to track because they move 30 to 50 miles a day, and hunters can't use bait or artificial calls.
"But I can tell you if I see one, it's going to be adios," Huff said.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Spike

kill em all
S.S.S
they have impacted the northern elk herd bad im from alabama and came out to hunt last year for a week and noticed a big differance from a few years before when i was there
Old 09-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
I did not know that there was a wolf hunt in the state of Idaho this year. Personally, I disagree with wolf hunting. Isn't that how we got rid of them? WOLVES ARE GOOD!!! They keep the grazing animal populations like elk under control. Plus, one of the things that elk eat are aspen tree shoots when the plant is young. Since the introduction of wolves in Yellowstones Lamar valley, the aspen population has been reborn. Wolves equal a more healthy and more clean ecological environment. What wolves have done for Yellowstone, they will undoubtedly do for Idaho.

??? Ill never understand this type of thinking. Can you not see the difference between a controlled hunt and unregulated slaughtering? Not to mention most of the wolves original habitat was developed for human habitation, farming and livestock.
Yellowstone has no hunting BTW, so wolves may have some purpose there, but the problem is the wolves have extended their range way outside of YS and into elk range used by hunters which is bad news. Do you have any idea what a nightmare wolves in NYS would be????
Old 09-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Spike

BigBuck95---the only good wolf is a dead wolf. If you had wolves slaughtering the deer herds in NY you'd sing a different tune. Or would you even care?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.