Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

come big or go home?

Old 11-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default come big or go home?

For the guys who hunt yotes alot, Is a Rem. 700 7mm-08 just to big? and is there a good bullet, for yotes?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: come big or go home?

The 7mm08 is a prime example of a great deer rifle that will also work well on varmints, as long as pelt damage is not an issue...

It shoots flat enough for 300 yard shots and is easy on the shoulder...

A couple good bullet choices for coyotes would be the 115 grain Speer or the Nosler 120 grain ballistic tip...
Old 11-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it's the only thing ya got, use it!! I started with a .270 win. many years ago. It was my first rifle, and I used for every thing from coyote to elk.
Like Pygmy said, the 7mm-08 isn't going to be "fur friendly", but it'll certainly kill coyotes.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, I just got back from Bass Pro, I had them put a Bushnell Banner 3x9 40 mm scope on her, I picked up some remington shells, wasn't sure at the time what load, so I went with the Express core lokt 140gr. got a new howler the primos mini mag, and I also picked up a Quiver Critter, Man thats a cute little thing,, lol.. So i think after I sight her in I should be good. I will let you all know how things go. I am gonna try the early eveing hunting for now with it being bow season still, Thanks guys for the info.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Use what ever centerfire rifle you have and have fun.I had rather have to much gun,than watch most of the dogs I shot run off.I have killed several with my 308,it isn't very fur friendly but I have made frontal shots with my 223 that caught the ribcage on the way back and ripped a 9" or 10"hole in their side so any caliber can be hard on fur just get out and have fun.GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING!!