Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Home Sweet Home

Old 07-16-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Home Sweet Home

Part of the traditional hunt for me is about hunting in the same areas year after year. In fact, I've used the same capsite for 35 years. Hunting someplace else would be okay, but there'd be something missing. It's like any good hotel has a bed and a table and a TV set and a shower, but it isn't home. Everyridge, every canyon, every stream has memories. And when the end of the hunt comes, I always know that I'll be back next year. And even though I hunt public land, I have a sense of ownership or at least stewardship for this seasonal "home".

There are some definite advantages to this. I couldn't get lost if I tried. I know where every water hole and spring is located. I know how the animals use the terrain.And there's something ritualistic about marking the passing of each year by returning to those places, one year older and still hunting.

I know a lot of hunters travel all over the country and some never hunt the same place twice. But does anybody else have thissense of connection to theland, or am I just odd?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:09 AM

Default RE: Home Sweet Home

I do. I have done most of my hunting on the same property since I first started and roamed the woods for years before that.I may not know every tree and bush, but I know when a storm has changed something, where I can best expect game to be and where to look if it's not there. I can pace off the places where I took one deer to another and know when every mast crop and feed is available. Maybe not to the degree it is to the animals themselves but it IS home to me.

One of the things that has kept me from packing up and moving to a new state is the thought that I would miss the feeling of being "home" there on our property where I spend almost every weekend and/or hunting season I can. I've beenwalking and exploring those woods since I was 8 years old and I DO feel it as home morethan anywhere else, even compared to theplace I liveor the house I grew up in.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:17 PM

Default RE: Home Sweet Home

My dad's farm is that way to me. I've got a memory for every square inch of that place. When I'm on that piece of land I feel more relaxed than anywhere else in this world. The place used to be full of mystery and excitement. Though that has faded with age I still feel close to the ole "home place".

As to hunting ground we always had "deer camp" on a friends farm. Every year was great. I know exactly what you're talking about when you talk about going back each year and feeling like its something special. Thats theway it was at "deer camp". The place was sold a few years back and when I pass it I still feel like the new owners are tresspassing. They even clear cut the timber off "my" crossing. They might be nice people but I've not forgiven them for that.