Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

help, coyote question

Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM

Default help, coyote question

Ive been studying for ever and think I understand basic skinning techniques, but am not sure what is neccesary after the skinning. I want the yotes for wall mounts. Do i need to flesh/tan them or can i just skin and salt them. any advice/tecniques and pics would be very helpful.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help, coyote question

If you want them to last "forever", then they will need to be tanned. SO, they will need to have the killing "hole" sewed, then fleshed, stretched, and tanned.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:13 PM

thats what i figured...the hard part without someone showing me is understanding the fleshing and tanning methods. any info on those?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

I do my own taxidermy,I would suggest going to vandykestaxidermy.com and get videos or books on skinning and fur care and tanning.You can get a free catalog from their website also.McKenzie's taxidermy supply also has them but I like Van Dykes prices better.Good luck be careful with tanning you can ruin your furs or have hair slippage and bald spots,but dont worry they send full instructions with tanning supply's and recipes for your tanning mixtures.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Look for a product called Krowtann 2000. It makes the fleshing part easier because you just do a rough fleshing job and then soak in the solution for 4 or more days. You do a final fleshing after the soak and you can use a wire wheel on a drill or something like that. Just be carefull that you don't go through the hide. You will have to work the pelt as it dries so it is soft when it's done. You'll also need to make sure you either skin the tail or run a cotton string up through the tail to make sure the solution wicks up through the tail. Some purists will try to steer you away from the Krowtann because it is not a traditional tanning solution and skips a few steps. My opinion is it is a preservative either way. You can also go to the taxidermy.net forum and look around there. I'd look around a bit and use the search function before you ask a question there because sometimes they can be irratable about that there.
Shoot lots of 'Yotes so you get lots of practice!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

I like krowtann 2000 for body mounts its a good preservative but leaves the hide a little stiff.Go to the taxidermy page and ask them this question and let them give you some advice.