Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Attracting Squirrels and Crows.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:05 AM

Default Attracting Squirrels and Crows.

Id rather shoot the crows than the squirrels because they are just more of a challenge. But i need to know how to bring them in and keep bringing them in. They are in my corn pile i dumped for deer. But its only early early morning and there is usually only like 2 there. I need it where they keep coming back and back for more. and i need to know how to sneak up on them to shoot them with a crossbow. or 22Long rifle with shorts in it. id rather be within 20 yards for the crossbow so please any tips on how to bring crows in please tell meee
Old 07-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Attracting Squirrels and Crows.

well you need to be there before they are and be hidden well. only way i shoot them is with decoys and using crow calls
Old 07-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Hey, just make sure you check your local laws, in Illinois they put the crow on the migratory bird list. Now we can only take crows in the fall.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:25 PM

Crows are making the list everywhere... Lil bastards.

I would say give up on the crossbow idea unless you have some camo and alot of patience. Crows are alot smarter than most birds such as ducks.

Crow information: http://www.zeebyrd.com/corvi29/
Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

yes I think they are on the migratory bird list in almost every state,as for killing with a crossbow,you had better have a lot of time and be very patient,I have killed several with a scoped rifle while squirrel hunting when they land above in the trees,but it's pretty difficult to get them to land on the ground in 22short range,their eyesight is very good and they can spot things out of the ordinary very quickly,I have probably doubled my crow killing,since I started using a camo shotgun as compared to a blued gun that they see as soon as you raise it.As some one else said check the season,here in ky we can shoot them with a rifle any time if they are doing crop damage,but we cant use decoys or call's until the september season,then I get out the decoys and the foxpro and let the lead fly and the birds fall,anyway you can killem just have fun and good luck on the crossbow thing,it will definately be a challenge!!
Old 08-11-2008, 08:24 PM

You may want to check the legalities of shooting any migratory bird with a crossbow or rifle. I think the feds have laws against anything other than a shotgun of 10 gauge or less
Old 08-12-2008, 04:44 PM

i just sit down after a cow just had birth they are everywhere