Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are crows, squirrels, and turkeys all snitches? >

Are crows, squirrels, and turkeys all snitches?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are crows, squirrels, and turkeys all snitches?

Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Are crows, squirrels, and turkeys all snitches?

Yes, it is a serious question. Let me explain:

Ever found yourself in a tree and the forest is dead silent in the mid afternoon hush, then as 3:00 rolls around and theforest slowly comes back to life and just as you feel like there is a deer approaching, making its way up the nearest ridge towards your stand you hear... THE SCREECHING AND BARKING(at you)OF AN ANNOYING RED SQUIRREL!

So the question as suggested in the title... do you think forest creatures can read eachother's cries and interpret them as danger lurking? I do believe so. What's your take?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:56 PM

Default RE: Are crows, squirrels, and turkeys all snitches?

Yes, other wildlife will most certainly give away the presence of other animals....Not always deer though, but I've had squirrels give them away on several occasions.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've seen a chipmunk alert an adult mature doe, he started barking, she went on full alert, we caught it on video. I believe they absolutely know each others danger warnings.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:04 PM

Well, I sorta meant give me away to the deer but I guessa screeching squirrel canwork both ways. Reason I asked is exactly what I described, a little red didn't notice me til he was within 10 feet of me. Scared out of its wits he climbed the nearest tree which happened to be a loner with no branches reaching other trees. The squirrel wouldn't come down but couldn't connect with other trees to get away either. Sooo, he just sat there for a half hour screaming his head off at me. Suffice to say I didn't see no stinkin' deer.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was sitting in a stand one afternoon and a whole covey of quail worked their way around my stand and were scratching around in the leaves right in front of me. I don't know if one of the quail saw something from above, but one of them let out a unique chirp and all the quail just froze to the ground. You couldn't even see them if you didn't know where they were. They didn't move for a full 5 minutes and then they slowly started stirring again and went back to scratching around.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

The squirrels usually don't bark at me to much, they are use to me coming through. Once in awhile one will climb up and give a few barks. I usually try to keep an eye on the squirrels and birds ect. Last year I saw a squirrel in the distance scatter to the nearest tree and fly up it aways. Then saw a doe walking passed the same tree. Thins morning I was up on a hill and below by the creek the squirrels were going nuts. The I see a fox cruising through.

IMO when the squirrels start barking, if there are deer around it will alert them.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had squirrels and blue jays alert ME to deer coming.They squawk at anything.Listen to the woods,you will be amazed at what you here.

I have started,just recently,making a blowing sound like deer when I here them doing it.Sometimes,they have no idea what they are blowing at.More often than not,they just go on about their buisness,I am assuming they thought they were blowing at another deer.

I don't know if I am crazy(ok,maybe I am crazy) but I truely believe this is true.[:-]
Old 12-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

just this year i was sittin in my stand and had a nice mature doe walking in, and sure enough, in a branch about 5 feet away one of those danged red squirrels must have spotted me adjust for the shot and he barked his little lungs out, the doe froze, looked around for about a minute, then turned around and walked away. the next day i went to the same spot with my 20 gauge and filled my bag limit w/ those lil varmints.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:28 PM

I shoot one. he aint going to tell one me!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ABSOLUTELY..!

Chipmunks and squirrels alert the entire forest floor when danger is present. Anytime a hawk or another predator are near the chipmunks chirp violently from the ground and the squirrels get high into the trees, hold tight to the trunk, and bark. Anyone who disagrees with this one has not spent enough time in the woods.

As far as turkeys.. they don't give off an alarm.. but whitetail feel more comfortable when they are present. And when they run off in a hurry they know something is off.

I don't think crows do.. but I could be wrong. I just have never observed it while in stand. Crows are very sociable and 'speak' to each other often when in the woods. They gather in groups called murders and search out food sources such as carcasses etc. While I don't believe they warn other animals of danger, they are associated with dead animals who do have predators usually nearby. i.e. the coyote.

Quick Reply: Are crows, squirrels, and turkeys all snitches?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.