Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Oddball yote???

Old 07-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Oddball yote???

Do a search on COYDOG a few things should come up. I agree , it's not the normal thing for dom. dogs and coyotes to breed, but I think it happens more than what you may think. I'm not saying that this pic is a mix for sure, but it could be. Central or southern Il. near Mo. it could be
Old 07-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jrbhunter

I'm surprised at some of the responses here!

Looks like a cleancut coyote to me. Not only are their coats extra shiney in the summer- their bellies are more likely to be gourged full in route to a den where they'll regurgetate a large meal pups. The tail posturing leans more toward a coyote than a dog in my mind as well.

As for coydogs: they are possible but highly improbable. If you do a little research you will find just how hard it is for a coyote to cross with a domestic dog and bare healthy offspring. It probably does happen: but concrete evidence on the issue certainly lacks any consistancy.

Despite thousands of people throwing the term around everyday- probably only ahandful of true coydogssee their first birthdayeach year- nationwide. Black coyotes, White Deer and fish with 3 eyes are much,much more common in the wild than a true coydog.
I heard the dna is to indifferent for them to breed.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: recurver167

ORIGINAL: Jrbhunter

I'm surprised at some of the responses here!

Looks like a cleancut coyote to me. Not only are their coats extra shiney in the summer- their bellies are more likely to be gourged full in route to a den where they'll regurgetate a large meal pups. The tail posturing leans more toward a coyote than a dog in my mind as well.

As for coydogs: they are possible but highly improbable. If you do a little research you will find just how hard it is for a coyote to cross with a domestic dog and bare healthy offspring. It probably does happen: but concrete evidence on the issue certainly lacks any consistancy.

Despite thousands of people throwing the term around everyday- probably only ahandful of true coydogssee their first birthdayeach year- nationwide. Black coyotes, White Deer and fish with 3 eyes are much,much more common in the wild than a true coydog.
I heard the dna is to indifferent for them to breed.

But you can breed a Pug and a Beagle and get a Pugle? I think it can be done. I think what makes it uncommon is a dog and a coyote getting along well enough to breed.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of areas of the country are differant. I dont see any coydogs here in Wisconsin. But the south west is full of them! Ive got pics of coy-dogs and redwolf mixed with coyotes on anytimeanimalcontrol.ning.com
Old 07-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like it has Husky in it for sure.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 PM

yote,,i killed a couple with the white face .marked up like a husky.the one i got last year came in to the call and just sat down in the field like a dog in the yard would do,,i watch him for a few minutes trying to figure out what it was ,,looked like a husky of my neighbers down the road,,
Old 07-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger
But you can breed a Pug and a Beagle and get a Pugle? I think it can be done. I think what makes it uncommon is a dog and a coyote getting along well enough to breed.

Now you are talking Apples and Oranges.

Immediately you have to cut the likelyhood of this COYDOG cross in HALFversus apuggle type cross- because female domestic dogs are not going to drop a liter of pups and raise them in the wild. So, your parents would consist of a male DOG and a female COYOTE.

Now, cut down the likelyhood of this cross happening because there aren't many domestic dogs living in and amongst coyotes in a manor that would allow them to breed a female.

Now, cut your likelyhood again because if he happened to be in the right place... at the right time... and came across a female coyote in estrus: just how many male coyotes is he going to shuck off before he hits it?

Now-let's just say Fidodefied all odds and mounted a female coyote. He then walks back to the house and lays on the porch while she roams back into the hills. This is EXTREMELY different than the relationship male and female coyotes have during pup rearing.

She will have to find a safe den, make it all nice and comfy, then defend it from trespassing coyotes. This factor alone is enough to declare COYDOGS impossible! She would be under constant pressure from other mating pairs, and transient coyotes, and in most cases up against a losing battle. She'd be tossed around the countryside- if not killed- with some very unhealthy pups in her womb.

So... she's defied the odds again and carried Fido's pups full-term. Now she drops them in a wet culvert under the highway as she trembles in fear of other coyotes. Odds are reasonable that by hiding from coyotes she has put herself at the mercy of human interaction... or at the very least a pesky pair of walker coonhounds.

Now for the sake of argument let's say no humans find her- no dogs bother her- and the neighboring family groups of coyotes somehow overlook her. She raises these 6 pups to the age of 3 days. Then what? There is no male there to bring her food, if she has access to water it may be limited. Nutricionally she and her pups are up against GREAT ODDS of surviving the first 3-4 weeks.

Now... let's keep the theory going and say that 5 of the 6 pups somehow survive the first three weeks. Take a look at the survival rate amongst coyote pups and tell me how many of them will see their first birthday! Of those 5, one or two would live to their first birthday under NORMAL conditions. Factor in their lack of parenting and low nutricion and you may not even see that many on average.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, anything is possible... but the frequency that everyone claims to see these "Coydogs" is simply ridiculous. I have seen hundreds of coyotes during my hunting travels and probably thousands more online- never once have I seen a coyote that I reasonably accepted as a COYDOG.

Quite frankly there are some very strange/odd/wierd coyotes out there across this country and I think people often struggle to put an explination behind the differences- yet we don't wonder why some of us are ugly/fat/handsome/thin/tall/short. It's a recurring argument across all forums... and it's a fun debate to have... but I think between Science and Nature it's been proven a VERY rare occourance in the real world. Just my .02

Old 07-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

i gree with jrb its a yote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:20 PM

hard to tell !
Old 07-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

I think it's an old smart coyote that has herd all the songs we sing , and would'nt come to any of the calls. Thats why he has a chest like he does.