Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Oddball scopes.  Anyone?? >

Oddball scopes. Anyone??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Oddball scopes. Anyone??

Old 08-16-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Oddball scopes. Anyone??

After reading many posts, doing some checking on ebay andshopping local storesI've come across a couple scopes I'd like some input on. The first is the Pentax Pioneer. Two days ago I saw a 4.5x14x42 go for $192 and it looked exactly like the Burris Fullfield II (i think i should have bought it). Is it the same scope?? Are they good scopes?? Also, where I live I have Scheels sporting goods stores and they have a 3.5x10x42 that they sell for $200. They warranty all their stuff and they will just do an in store replacement if you have a problem, anyone have any experience with these?? And lastly, I'm going to a Cabelas tomorrow and I see they have their own line as well, any ones there worth looking at? Or should I stick with a Burris??
Old 08-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Oddball scopes. Anyone??

I'm sure that I read somewhere that Burris is making the Pentax scopes these days. I'm not 100% but I swear I read that.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:23 AM

I have a cabela's Alaskan Guide model scope and it's great. I wouldn't over look them. They are made by some of the major scope manufacturers, the sales people just don't know which scope is made by what company. And Outfittter scopes are even better yet. I think they might have the changed the name to Alaskan Guide Plus or something like that. They are not very cheap though, about the same as any of the other mid to high end scopes.

They have another line called Pine ridge or something like, they are ok. About like a cheaper simmons or bushnell.

The good thing about living near a cabela's is get what you want, if you don't like it bring it back a few days to a year later and get your money back or trade up with no hassle. I tried 4 scopes before I decided on the Alaskan guide model I have now. I liked it better than a leupold I looked at for more money. Don't forget to check out the bargain cave either. They might have the same scope you looked at new for a bit less money in there. I don't think you can return it though. I would ask before spending the money if that was an issue.

I don't know anything about the other scopes you mentioned, except the few pentax scopes I have looked thru were pretty nice.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-20-2005, 11:48 AM

Stick with the Burris.......specifically one that has the Ballistic Plex Reticle. The Fullfield II is offered with this reticle as are several other models. I've got one on my 7mm-08 and just love it. Sighted in dead on at 100 Yds....I'm within 1/2" ofline of sightusing the various BPlex aim points all the way out to......well all the way out to a lot further than I am capable of shooting accurately.

firstshot
-----------------------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 08-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Nada, what did you have in mind, when you asked "Oddball Scopes, Anyone?"
Many that have been mentioned are not oddball.