Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Beaver trapping

Old 01-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Beaver trapping

Ok i was settin a pond today and ther eis as good bit of ice i can see the bubbles and there run. But it's just to deep to set almost 8 feet. i can't get a trap down that far. there are a few channels were i have managed to catch one beaver. but they just don't seem to be traveling much for some reason. can anybody give me some advise on what i could do to try and catch some of these???
Old 01-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Beaver trapping

could you try wiring a 330 to a couple of long dead branches.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:23 PM

Marvless idea
Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

know i don't mean Like that i mean they are about 15 feet out in the lake and you can't get to them. they are impossible to set i have tried chest waders n still can only get out about 8 feet STIL WAY TO SHORT

Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Chop a large hole near the edge where it looks like the beaver comes out when there isn't any ice. Then put a stik with some beaver castor on it about 4 ft from the edge of the water and put a #4 or #5 leg hold trap on the bank. stake it down really really really good. Hopefully the beaver will stick his head out of the hole, smell the beaver castor, start to walk toward the scent and WHAM! he is caught.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 AM
Typical Buck

Old beaver are smart and easier to snare under the ice.I make a ladder [two long dead poles]with pieces of dead wood nailed crossways leaving a hole near the bottom. Then afix a #330 conibear trap or a fox/coyote snare in the opening.If you take a shovel/axe and tap the ice around the house you will hear the ringing of thin ice where the beaver are travelling[also see bubbles under the ice] Feel with a long pole the bottom til you locate a ditch or deep spot this is their tunnel. They may have two or three entrances.With the activity chopping around the house they may hole up for a few days or you will catch the young foolish ones first......be patient..........Harold