Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

night hunting for coyotes

Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 PM

Default RE: night hunting for coyotes

Ok, I'll take the hits for not totally explaining everything for those WITHOUT common sense.
Yes, by all means always make sure you can see all arround you for as far as you deem necessary. All I was pointing out is that distance can be your friend and 100 yards is nominal (a good idea in other words). Other predators can be on the prowl and can be quite dangerous. However, have you ever heard of a secondary weapon (I carry one any time I'm hunting, fishing, hiking, or any outdoor activity - it's just a SMART thing to do, you know, to protect yourself - duh!).
As for the calls, don't listen to this nut, evidently he didn't read everything.
I don't suggest or imply that you should use the same call all the time - they do get wise to that kind of misuse of a hunting call. I use calls all the time in the same location all the time (sometimes with and sometimes without bait/carcass) and I can tell you right now that, now pay close attention, USING DIFFERENT KINDS OF CALLS (different animal sounds of distress -all of mine are NOT digital or recorded, I do them all manually so I have control over the sounds, intensity, pitch, etc...) IS VERY, VERY, VERY EFFECTIVE. I try one call for about 30 to 45 minutes, if I see nothing, I move on to the next call (that is why some dumb butts don't think they work is because they use only one call all the time). They might come in for one call one night, or 3 nights, or for several weeks. The next time it might not work at all - so try another kind of call, don't get stuck in a rut. The "manually" operated calls are also cheaper than the recorded or digital calls (usually).
I don't know if the person criticizing my input actually has any professional standing for which he based his comments (sounded more like a shade tree weekend warrior to me), but I worked with and for several professional trappers who also specialized in vermin control (fancy for varmit killers). I live in an area where there are lots large ranches with lots of cattle and the ranchers pay good to have their large money cattle protected from predators (in other words I did and do this for a living - and a dang good one at that). Since I started with one of the ranches they have had no cattle loss to predators. I have spent lots of time doing my research on this and I can tell you for sure what works and doesn't (I have done this in more than just one small area or even one state). The only thing that really makes it hard is terrain and visability, all the rest you just have to experiment with the things I told you, have some patience, and don't get stuck in a rut with your methods. I may hunt the same spot/area night after night, but that doen't mean that I sit in the exact same spot or use the exact same method every night. Try picking several good spots to set up at to hunt an area. Use the one that puts the wind in your favor (if there is more than one, just pick one you like) and use it one night. The next night you might try another spot. The key thing to remember is to keep the wind in your favor and watch your back. Oh yeah, don't forget to carry a secondary firearm/weapon (large caliber pistol, short range large caliber rifle, sluggun/shotgun, or a really big knife).
Just for the record, I just got back from hunting again tonight (without bait and only with my calls to get them in) and I killed 16 coyotes, 2 bobcats, and 1 mountain lion.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

You sound like you watch too many hunting vidios from what I read, AND BY THE WAY! I GOT YOUR NUT! you jackass!, evedently you didnt read or understand the guys post I was responding to, so here it is for the reading impared!,he has never hunted them, and he has them comeing in for supper!. If you got them comeing into your back yard already, whats the sence of calling them!, why make them call shy after the first couple of times!, he is talking about shooting them in his back yard! not going all over the county. And some out there have never preditor hunted befor, they probably hadnt thought about critters comeing up behind them, esspesialy cats and bears, dont you think that is some pretty good info!. Im not a professional varmint hunter, never claimed to be, Ive just been doing it for 33 years!.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

For states like mASS. where you cannot use artificial lite.

So I finally got out last night. I had planned for night hunting this week cause of the full moon coming. The nights you can see at night are so few I never had to think about it much. SO I never payed attention to the moon rise times. I just thought when it dark the moon is out. It was so bright mon & tues I said I better get out wed. Well I went out and there was not a moon to be seen. SO after and hour or so I went home and looked at the rise time, 6:14 PM, well then it has to get up in the sky, which it did but not until about 9 or 10 for casting good light. SO next time I will know but that won't be until Feb 16th or 18th (only 3 day of good night lite) so plan for then if you want to give it a shot. It will be your last until next fall. The moon rise is approx 1 1/4 hrs later every day, not like sunrise.

And why didn't you guys tell us this earlier, shame on you I assume many have little experience with this no artificial light night hunting. So now we all know.

And don't forget. In MA, you can hunt until 12:00 Am but after 9:00PM only .22 rimfire rifle or smaller or .38 cal or smaller pistols from 9-12.

Off to NH next wkend to try it, we can use lights up there. Well my AR has a light, Illum Reticle, and red laser so I think its ready for any and all night encounters.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Ahh!, but I did mention abouta light in my first post, cant get me there!!!LOL. As far as with any kind of hunting you need to check your state regulations. You might want to invest in a night vission scope if you cant use a light, some of the new 1st generation night vission has came a long way, and still affordable!,
Old 01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Us poor bastards that are unfortunate to live in a anti gun state (mASS[:'(]) have to hunt by moonlite when the few occasions occur. Nite scope is nice but if I can't see it coming in w/ my eyes I doubt a night scope will help me except empty my already barren wallet.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: devil dog

You sound like you watch too many hunting vidios from what I read, AND BY THE WAY! I GOT YOUR NUT! you jackass!, evedently you didnt read or understand the guys post I was responding to, so here it is for the reading impared!,he has never hunted them, and he has them comeing in for supper!. If you got them comeing into your back yard already, whats the sence of calling them!, why make them call shy after the first couple of times!, he is talking about shooting them in his back yard! not going all over the county. And some out there have never preditor hunted befor, they probably hadnt thought about critters comeing up behind them, esspesialy cats and bears, dont you think that is some pretty good info!. Im not a professional varmint hunter, never claimed to be, Ive just been doing it for 33 years!.
Ok, you dingle berry! even if they are coming in without a call at first you will kill a few and then they'll catch on to that. I'm giving advice on more than just the here and now (like some other near sighted idiots) I give advice that could benefit more than just one night or one person. I don't care where you shoot them from. if you set up in the same spot every time they will come to expect it. Oh, YOU are the one who brought up the fact of critters coming up from behind them, all I offered was a common sense solution. And I have been at this for more than 40 years not like it matters anyways.

For everone else that may read this:
I don't know where your house is, I don't know the city you live in, I do know how to hunt coyotes (I do it a lot and make a living at it). The primary key with coyotes is to be unpredictable and patient. It doesn't matter what you use (guns, bait, calls, scent, etc...) don't get stuck in a rut and teach the coyotes what you are doing, be unpredictable and keep them guessing. Change your hunting patterns and you will be twice as successful at it. If you are shooting out of your back door to kill a coyote in your back yard, next time try shooting from a window or a side door (give it a try and you'll notice that you catch them off guard), just don't get a routine going or they'll catch on. Oh, and by the way, after you kill the first few and without a call (when they quit coming in) you can thin down the population even more if you will try calling (if you are at home you have time to try to do some calling - it can be lots of fun).
Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Chadsgna

ORIGINAL: devil dog

Ok, you dingle berry! even if they are coming in without a call at first you will kill a few and then they'll catch on to that. I'm giving advice on more than just the here and now (like some other near sighted idiots) I give advice that could benefit more than just one night or one person. I don't care where you shoot them from. if you set up in the same spot every time they will come to expect it. Oh, YOU are the one who brought up the fact of critters coming up from behind them, all I offered was a common sense solution. And I have been at this for more than 40 years not like it matters anyways.

For everone else that may read this:
I don't know where your house is, I don't know the city you live in, I do know how to hunt coyotes (I do it a lot and make a living at it). The primary key with coyotes is to be unpredictable and patient. It doesn't matter what you use (guns, bait, calls, scent, etc...) don't get stuck in a rut and teach the coyotes what you are doing, be unpredictable and keep them guessing. Change your hunting patterns and you will be twice as successful at it. If you are shooting out of your back door to kill a coyote in your back yard, next time try shooting from a window or a side door (give it a try and you'll notice that you catch them off guard), just don't get a routine going or they'll catch on. Oh, and by the way, after you kill the first few and without a call (when they quit coming in) you can thin down the population even more if you will try calling (if you are at home you have time to try to do some calling - it can be lots of fun).
Well now thats a whole lot better than how you started," totaly disreguard the comment on not useinga call! or as for the calls dont listen to this nut!". My advice is tried and tested also, and your right, coyotee hunting can be fun and it takes different technique's to keep them comeing in, its just my advice was for the guy that had them comeing in his back yard because of his rabbits.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

We have no choice in Jersey about a fairly quit gun like the 22LR.
We can only use 10 or 12 gauge shotguns at night.
Shotguns, .44 cal muzzle loader, and compound bows in the day.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's great down here. The only thing is, in South Carolina you can not carry a gun higher than a .22 mag at night... bummer.