HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - night hunting for coyotes
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Chadsgna

Default RE: night hunting for coyotes

Ok, I'll take the hits for not totally explaining everything for those WITHOUT common sense.
Yes, by all means always make sure you can see all arround you for as far as you deem necessary. All I was pointing out is that distance can be your friend and 100 yards is nominal (a good idea in other words). Other predators can be on the prowl and can be quite dangerous. However, have you ever heard of a secondary weapon (I carry one any time I'm hunting, fishing, hiking, or any outdoor activity - it's just a SMART thing to do, you know, to protect yourself - duh!).
As for the calls, don't listen to this nut, evidently he didn't read everything.
I don't suggest or imply that you should use the same call all the time - they do get wise to that kind of misuse of a hunting call. I use calls all the time in the same location all the time (sometimes with and sometimes without bait/carcass) and I can tell you right now that, now pay close attention, USING DIFFERENT KINDS OF CALLS (different animal sounds of distress -all of mine are NOT digital or recorded, I do them all manually so I have control over the sounds, intensity, pitch, etc...) IS VERY, VERY, VERY EFFECTIVE. I try one call for about 30 to 45 minutes, if I see nothing, I move on to the next call (that is why some dumb butts don't think they work is because they use only one call all the time). They might come in for one call one night, or 3 nights, or for several weeks. The next time it might not work at all - so try another kind of call, don't get stuck in a rut. The "manually" operated calls are also cheaper than the recorded or digital calls (usually).
I don't know if the person criticizing my input actually has any professional standing for which he based his comments (sounded more like a shade tree weekend warrior to me), but I worked with and for several professional trappers who also specialized in vermin control (fancy for varmit killers). I live in an area where there are lots large ranches with lots of cattle and the ranchers pay good to have their large money cattle protected from predators (in other words I did and do this for a living - and a dang good one at that). Since I started with one of the ranches they have had no cattle loss to predators. I have spent lots of time doing my research on this and I can tell you for sure what works and doesn't (I have done this in more than just one small area or even one state). The only thing that really makes it hard is terrain and visability, all the rest you just have to experiment with the things I told you, have some patience, and don't get stuck in a rut with your methods. I may hunt the same spot/area night after night, but that doen't mean that I sit in the exact same spot or use the exact same method every night. Try picking several good spots to set up at to hunt an area. Use the one that puts the wind in your favor (if there is more than one, just pick one you like) and use it one night. The next night you might try another spot. The key thing to remember is to keep the wind in your favor and watch your back. Oh yeah, don't forget to carry a secondary firearm/weapon (large caliber pistol, short range large caliber rifle, sluggun/shotgun, or a really big knife).
Just for the record, I just got back from hunting again tonight (without bait and only with my calls to get them in) and I killed 16 coyotes, 2 bobcats, and 1 mountain lion.