Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyotes at night.

Old 01-27-2002, 08:14 PM

Default Coyotes at night.

I was over at the realtree forums and saw a post that said they hunt coyotes at night using a red spotlight because they can not see the red. Is this true? Do any of you hunt at night??
ryan
Old 01-28-2002, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coyotes at night.

a light equiped with a red lens is not invisable to a predator but as long as the brightness is kept low it does not bother them.if your light does not have a rheostat(dimmer)switch on it just keep the main beam above there eyes and just use the halo area of the light to see there eyes

Edited by - coyoteseeker on 01/28/2002 18:12:47
Old 01-28-2002, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coyoteseeker I was wondering how you worked the light . I just ordered a Nightblaster max 350 from Cabelas . It mounts on your scope .

Edited by - halcon on 01/28/2002 18:35:25
Old 01-28-2002, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

i use a light thats mounted on my hat with a belt mounted batery.i tip the hat slightly to the left(i shoot right handed)so when i'm aiming the gun the light is following the barrel and right on to there eyes.i have a barrel clip for my light but don't use it to often becouse it requires me to move the whole gun around trying to pick the eyes.this is an incredible amount of movment that i can't live with.although i will admit that once there eyes are in view the light on the gun is alot easyer.there for sometime i will have the barrel clip on but keep the light on my head untill a predator is spoted.then if its possible i will put the light on the barrel.if your putting one on your scope you will find its eayest to put the stock of the gun on top of your shoulder with the trigger gaurd against your shoulder and scan looking down the side of the gun or scope.its very uncomfortable to scan looking thru the scope,after awhile it realy gets to ya.try it this way and when something is spotted then ease the gun/rifle to your shoulder and look thru the scope.my light is for when i'm using shotgun,can't use the rifle with lights.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:24 PM
Spike

The coyotes around here are to smart for bright lights and varmit calls, but I've had them literally come right up to me using a cordless spotlight from LSI with a red filter lens on it. Good hunting
Old 01-30-2002, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only problem with using a spotlight on your scope is that it is directed at the same place as your scope. Yotes won't see DIM red light, but if you focus the inner beam on them to aim, they will notice the extra illumination around them and run, if you use a hand held, you can focus the beam far enough above them to not be noticed, but keep them in sight.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

this is a good point nomercy has brought up.i don't think the scope mounted lights have a dimmer switch on them.but i don't see why some techy some where couldn't rig one up.personaly i think a rheostat switch is a very important part of a night light.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:05 PM

I hunt alot at night i use night vision goggles and a shot gun woks real well for me