Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First time crowing

Old 01-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First time crowing

What a hoot!!!

Went to a wildlife area to do a little yotin with my FX3. After about an hour an a half later nothin notta zilch. Which left me a little bummed. I decided to pick up and go to another area. On my way there I see a few crows and I thought change of plans . I get down to where I can start hunting again crab my stuff and head out. It's a cattle grazing area with lots of black berry rows and a few trees with little cover. I found an ok spot and put the FX3 out playing a crow fight. Figuring I'd have enough time to finish setting up WRONG!!!!!! No sooner did I walk back 15 or 20 yardsto my pack & shot gun here they came. My shells weren't even out of the box. lol They were circling, making noise and I'm justtrying to get shellsin the dam shot gun. There must have been 3 dozen of them and I finnally get the shot gun loaded and start BLASTING. This was the most fun I had with my 12gauge in a long time . The overall kill rate we won't discussbut you couldn't take the grin of my face with a belt sander [8D]. I'm so hooked!!! but I only have till the end of jan.

? for all you crow killers do they have a good memory? Meaning can I go to the same area tommorrow
Old 01-17-2008, 05:10 PM

Default RE: First time crowing

It may depend on how bad you scared them today,lol

Around here,you can't even stop the truck without haveing
them take off..They been shot at so many times..

You walk out of the house with a broom and they stay there
try doing it with a gun..They are pretty darn clever..
Old 01-18-2008, 01:32 AM

ya they are one of the smartest birds, literally. Have it happen to me all the time...i'll see a couple crows in the trees near my house, go inside to grab my .22 rifle, aim, and the minute i put the rifle up they fly away.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exteremly smart, if you call at them too much they won't ever come back.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Man that's awesome! I am so happy to hear about afellow crow hunter. Crow shoots are great fun.

As far as hunting the next day, yes you can - and you will prolly fool a couple, but you'll burn out your spot pretty quickly. Crows are incredibly intelligent and they DO remember. They learn the calls you are using and even become decoy shy. I usually give my spots about a month break between shoots, or at least 3 weeks. They still remember me, but it not well enough that I can get a few in the bag.

Welcome to the sport. It's great fun.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:50 AM

Damn fun to hunt and shoot--I jusy wish you could huntem every day..
Seems silly to have a season and only wek end to hunt them...

We caught one once and tied some string to its leg,it could go up
about 50 feet or so and come back down..The other crows would
fly over head and around,but never landed..It was funny to watch.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:37 PM

as an example to how smart they are, crows are one of the few animals that remember intricate DETAILS. Like a lot of other animals, if you shoot at them and miss, and they get away, they'll remember 'man' as a whole, and stay away from anything that stinks like 'man'. Crows will remember FACES. So if you are the only one in the household that messes with them, they won't scatter when anyone from your house comes out, but they sure as hell will scatter when YOU come out. And they have been known to torment/harrass specific people who have wronged them before.