Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

winter squirrel hunting

Old 12-08-2007, 07:35 AM

Default winter squirrel hunting

Now that water fowl and deer seasons are over in my neck of the woods, I'm back to small game hunting to scratch my trigger finger itch. But I'm having some trouble locating the little buggers now that it has turned arctic around here. Any tips for winter squirrel hunting? I am hunting an oak ridge and sitting in spots for about 20 - 25 minutes befor moving on. I was out the day befor yesterday and only got a little red squirrel. It was still fun, but would like to bring a few more home next time
Old 12-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: winter squirrel hunting

If you guys are aloud to hunt over bait, then get yourself some crackcorn. Theres 2 ways to do it too. 1st you can put the feed out in a bigger pile the day before so they can get used too it, and sneek in quietly the nexy day and get you a couple. 2nd you can put some out when you get there, and move on, coming back the same way you entered and seeing if any has moved to it. If theres no food aloud, than you need to go early just before daylight and get set up on the tree line from where they come into the field or whatever it is just something like that.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your not allowed to bait just put up a "bird" feeder in the woods, it always works in the yard. Try a squirrel call, it helps to locate them.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

I've had good luck hunting pines here in PA. Also, if you have a picked or unpicked corn field near by they get a lot of their winter food from them. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

squirrel dogs?