Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Bobcat - .17 HMR?

Old 12-09-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Bobcat - .17 HMR?

While deer hunting this afternoon in GA is saw a Bobcat. Was wondering if a .17 HMR would do the trick out to about 75yds?
Any thought would be appreciated.

JN
Old 12-09-2007, 07:13 PM

Default RE: Bobcat - .17 HMR?

I think that the .17 would do all right at that range. I was with one of my friends when he shot a yote at 120 yards with one.If you were wanting to do much more predator hunting you might want to get something a little bigger.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:33 PM

you could go further if you wanted to, 150-200 yds. be sure of good shot placement though. use the CCI TNTs, they tend to hold together better then the ballistic tips. hornady XTPs mushroom like a big game bullet and get better penetration.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:23 AM
Spike

In the hands of the right shooter a accurate 17 HMR can be extraordinarily effective on a Bobcat. I havefour 17 HMR's one of the four rifles is exceptionally accurate. Under the right conditions I would feel comfortable out to 125 yards with my most accurate rifle.

Funny thing is I would feel better about using the 20-grain pills mentioned above inside of125 yards. The reason I would favor the 20-grain projectile is it will hold together and penetrate better than the much more frangible 17-grain bullet.

The trouble with the more accurate 17-grain pills is they tend to explode on impact. The rapid expansion of the V-max pills often will reduce the penetration to the point of a surface splash when hitting a larger bone. If the bullet is not allowed to penetrate well into the vitals you can expect disappointment.

Over 125 yards the 17-grain pill has slowed down enough to reduce its explosive nature. If you are not hitting bone (Big if) you may penetrate enough to reliably get the job done.

If you have a slightly larger Center fire rifle with the proper loads for the job I honestly would favor the larger rifle. Example might be a 17 Remington Fireball, 17 Remington, 22 Hornet or a .221 Fireball. Of all the above calibers only two that I know of offers a Factory load that I would feel confident with for this job (17 HMR and 22 hornet). A guy who reloads his own ammo can choose an ideal bullet for their center fire ammo to better insure ideal mix of penetration and expansion properties of the bullet for the given job.

Honestly feel the 17HMR can get the job done though there may be better options for this task. If you are not confident you can consistently put your shot inside of a 1.5-inch circle at the given range under the given circumstances… with the right bullet for the job, I recommend you pass on the shot.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Dont use a .17 HMR on any large varmint, now the ,17 rem. is awesome on them!!!!!!!!! I mean AWESOME!!!!!!!!! If you got something a little bigger like a .204 or a .223 than Id go with that with ease. I hunt for fur so thats why I use smaller centerfire calibers.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were hunting with my hummer and I saw a bobcat I wouldn't hesitate to aim for his headif he stopped and gave me a clear shot.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:57 AM

I have taken a lrg bobcat at about 75 yrds with a Ruger 10/22 LR. The bobcat ran maybe 15 yrds. I truely believe it all depends on shot placement. Here in Florida guys often take hogs with ear shots, dropping them where they stand!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

a .17 would, without a doubt, do the job......as long as you hit the vitals.