Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First varmint rig

Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 PM

Default First varmint rig

well, I will be putting togather my first varmint rig in a month or two. I will be getting a weatherby vanguard sub-moa varmint in .204 ruger. it will have a nikon 5-20x44 scope with the BDC reticle secured by talley mounts. I will be shooting out to about 500 yards, mostly on smaller varmints, and maybe the occasional coyote. any input that could improve this set up would be appreciated. thatnk you
Old 11-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First varmint rig

might wanna rethink the caliber if your typical shooting is over 300...yes, that 204 will reach out there..but a light cross wind is gunna take that bullet in a hurry..alot of guys like something a hair bigger (6mm-243 range) for anything past 300 or so...

i bought a 22-250 this summer...love it. but i dont get much shooting past 350, most being 200 or less, and groundhogs dont like windy days all too much, so i dont shoot in the wind...

but if your like me, and most your shooting falls around 300 or less, and the occassional poke, than youd most likely be ok...
Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

From what I've saw the .204 doesn't do that good past 300 yards. May also look into a different rifle, Weatherbys seem pretty pricy for what they are.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 PM

I was also looking at a .22-250 too, but I figured if I did a lot of high volume shooting then me barrel would heat up much faster than with the .204. maybe the good old .223 would be a nice ballence between the two?I found a website: budsgunshop.com that can have that weatherby delivered for 715.00. sounds pretty good if you ask me. thank you for your input. if I did get say a .223, what would be a good bullet weight for up to 500 yards? my guess would be something in the 55-65 gr range.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:58 PM

I bought a NEF single shot in 204 Ruger, and I don't have any trouble shooting in the wind. I don't go shooting when it's gusting up to or over 30 mph or anything either, but here in east NM if you wait for a calm day you'll never get out. I can shoot out to 450-500 yards with my 6-24X50 scope, but I generally don't shoot over 350 at animals. I bought this gun primarily for coyote and fox, but who doesn’t like a big prairie dog town. If you are trying to save some $$ on this purchase, you might want to at least take a look at the NEF rifles. I own a Weatherby for my big game rifle, but I didn’t want to drop that kind of cash just to kill some vermin.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

He said .204 ruger and 500 yards it'll get out there but thats even a hard shot with a 22-250. Like mauser said consider something 6mm or better.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NMFowler

I bought a NEF single shot in 204 Ruger, and I don't have any trouble shooting in the wind. I don't go shooting when it's gusting up to or over 30 mph or anything either, but here in east NM if you wait for a calm day you'll never get out. I can shoot out to 450-500 yards with my 6-24X50 scope, but I generally don't shoot over 350 at animals. I bought this gun primarily for coyote and fox, but who doesn’t like a big prairie dog town. If you are trying to save some $$ on this purchase, you might want to at least take a look at the NEF rifles. I own a Weatherby for my big game rifle, but I didn’t want to drop that kind of cash just to kill some vermin.

Jeez! ya makin me feel kinda bad Ive got almost 3 grand tied up in firearms and optics for just killin some vermin.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

lol HDW...looking at my stock of guns, the most expensive rig in the house is my groundhog rifle...i got about 1200-1300$ sitting in a factory rifle lol...just to shoot groundhogs. drop another 500 or so into her, and she'll be a real shooter something addicting about a good varmint rig...i love to open up the case and hand it to someone that has never seen such a thing.

kinda kicking myself about the 22-250 choice...but here in PA, 350 or so is about the fartherst hillside to hillside shot...the rolling hills around here and development make it hard to find a true poke...350 or less is bang/splat...thats what i like...no recoil..find shells anywhere...works for me...

do i need a 1300$ rifle to shoot groundhogs? heck no...but missing is no fun...funny i usually draw in spectators....who woulda thought groundhog hunting to be a spectator sport?? lol i like watching jaws drop when i call a 200yd headshot...then tell the spectators to hit it with the range finder and go bring it back to me while i find me another
Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Im still considering the .22-250 I just might go with a .204 or .223 because the ammo is cheaper and it wears less on the barrel. at first most of my shooting will most likeley be done around 200-300 yards. I would only take a five hundred yard shot if there was no wind. I am a marine and we shoot at the 500 yard line, and I have seen first hand what a slight wind can do to a light bullet. but I figure if I can fit what I am aiming at at 500 yards with iron sights, then using a 20 power scope shouldnet be too difficult. granted the target is much smaller, it should be relative due to the magnifacation of the scope. hell at 500 yards the front sight post is about wice as wide as the target apperars. oh and If I had the money, I wouldnt hestiate to drop a bunch of money on a good varmint rifle. one more thing, do you think an m1 carbine could be used on coyotes at close range say 100 yards and less if it I were shooting soft ponits? I have one and have been trying to think of something that I could hunt with it.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Savage Model 12FV in .223 for ~$500 in most parts of the world. With some 60 grain hollow points, you could get out there and touch something.

Quick Reply: First varmint rig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.