HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First varmint rig
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 PM
varmintsgrudge

Default RE: First varmint rig

Im still considering the .22-250 I just might go with a .204 or .223 because the ammo is cheaper and it wears less on the barrel. at first most of my shooting will most likeley be done around 200-300 yards. I would only take a five hundred yard shot if there was no wind. I am a marine and we shoot at the 500 yard line, and I have seen first hand what a slight wind can do to a light bullet. but I figure if I can fit what I am aiming at at 500 yards with iron sights, then using a 20 power scope shouldnet be too difficult. granted the target is much smaller, it should be relative due to the magnifacation of the scope. hell at 500 yards the front sight post is about wice as wide as the target apperars. oh and If I had the money, I wouldnt hestiate to drop a bunch of money on a good varmint rifle. one more thing, do you think an m1 carbine could be used on coyotes at close range say 100 yards and less if it I were shooting soft ponits? I have one and have been trying to think of something that I could hunt with it.